Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Low muscle tone and speech issues in 4yo (long)

(8 Posts)
SantasHugandRollintheSnow Thu 22-Nov-12 19:26:36

Ds1 is 4yo and is currently in reception. We have been informed (although its pretty obvious anyway) that he has speech delay.

He does not form full sentences (misses out words eg if we would say "what's that on the hill?" He would say "that, on the hill"). He also struggles with comprehension, following more complex instructions etc. He does however know all his letter names and sounds and has started sounding out words. He can form letters but is still struggling with size of his writing.

We have known since birth he has low muscle tone and although his fine motor skills were not affected, all his gross motor skills and other milestones were:

- rolled at 8 months
- sat at 8 months
- from 8 months to around 1 year chronic constipation requiring movicol
- didn't crawl
- bottom shuffled at 18 months
- walked at 2.1 years
- ran at 2.6 years
- jumped at 3
- potty trained at 3 ish
- stood on one leg this summer
- hopped this month

He also has asthma and eczema.

He is very ahead in technological skills, mathematical skills including addition, subtracting, sorting, patterns, counting (up to 1000) etc and is highly emotionally intelligent for his age.

Now, to add to my epic post I need to tell you about my pregnancy and birth as I am now wondering if this played a role in the above issues.

I had obstetric cholestatis while pregnant. Despite the constant itch and feeling really ill, blood tests were not done until the week I was due. The results were rushed through and I was sent to hospital and was told I had to be induced the next morning.

I went into early labour naturally at 4am but I was still given pessaries to help the cervix progress and was sent for a walk around the hospital. By around 9pm I was taken down to delivery.

I got to 7cm and my waters were artificially broken resulting in me going back to 6cm. It was also known that ds was back to back. This is where it got bad.

I had another hour of just gas and air but hasn't progressed any further so had an epidural. Ds was being monitored but his heart rate kept dipping so a clip was attached to his head.

I cannot say how much time passed then but the next thing I know is blood is being taken from ds scalp to check his oxygen levels as he wasn't doing well. When I was fully dilated I had to push as best I could but they were still having to check his blood oxygen.

A couple of hours past and I was told I had to get the baby out NOW. A vontoose was used but we were only allowed one try or it was emcs for us. Luckily he did come out and after the paediatrician checked him over I could have him.

I now wonder if I should have been taken for an emcs sooner. Could that labour and my pregnancy complication have contributed to his issues?

Sorry for the length, didn't want to leave anything out to avoid drip feeding.

SantasHugandRollintheSnow Thu 22-Nov-12 21:43:42

Bump, anyone?

SantasHugandRollintheSnow Thu 22-Nov-12 22:14:33

minmooch Thu 22-Nov-12 22:43:10

I am sorry I can't help you but I did not want to read and run.

I am not sure how these things are done but perhaps you need to go through your medical notes during your delivery with an impartial medically trained person who can perhaps shed some light for you. Perhaps your GP might be a good starting point?

I hope that someone comes along with better advice and that you get your questions answered.

cestlavielife Thu 22-Nov-12 23:34:37

Have you had his hearing tested?
Have they mentioned echolalia (repeating what he has heard)

What were his apgar scores? Any evidence of lack of oxygen ?

It sounds like he has a very spiky profile eg v advanced in some ways .

Hypotonia alone is not usually linked with a birth injury from what I have seen. But yes with myriad of different genetic and other conditions.

You could google cholestasis and outcomes to see any research see if there is any recorded link.

Otherwise you will find it hard to prove that the speech delay is linked to birth story. It may be wiring in the brain maybe programmed long before birth. Who knows.

I would focus on getting proper assessment of what his difficulties are (is this a delay or a disorder? ) and how to address them rather than spend time on looking at why unless there is a recorded very obvious connection already noted in other children.

Even if so it won't make a difference to the therapies etc,

MrsJourns Fri 23-Nov-12 07:40:23

Sorry to hear your story, I'm afraid I don't have any thing to add on a link between your sons birth and current problems, but as pp says I think it is important to get a full assessment of your son. Has your son had a global assessment done at a child development clinic? As well as assessing his development they would/should also ask about pregnancy/ birth. Your GP or school should be able to arrange this (often quicker through GP). Does your son get any additional support at the moment? It sounds to me like he Would benefit from speech therapy and occupational therapy.

SantasHugandRollintheSnow Fri 23-Nov-12 12:12:25

Thanks all. He's being referred to speech and language therapy through shool and he had physiotherapy until he could walk.

I will speak with his teacher again and our gp (who luckily is excellent) to see if he can have a general "check over".

His apager scores were good in the end as they got him out 9 then 9 so no oxygen deprivation but traumatic for him nonetheless.

I know its no good speculating but I'm just finding it hard to understand how he can be so ahead in some things and so behind in others.

SantasHugandRollintheSnow Fri 23-Nov-12 14:16:31

I've been back on the net and I think ds1 may have dyspraxia. I'm going to talk to his teacher later to see what she thinks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now