Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Children & dental xrays

(4 Posts)
carmen66 Mon 19-Nov-12 21:44:36

Hi, my dd is 6.5 & hasn't lost any of her baby teeth as yet... I took her for her 6 month check up today & mentioned it to our dentist ,he reassured me that is perfectly normal for some kids to start losing them as 7 years old.. However he took an xary of her lower teeth to make sure that there are some there ..
My dd has never had an xray & I know that the exposure to radiation is minimal but it's worrying me as I really didn't want her to have one..
What are your thoughts on this please? do you mind your young children having xrays?

Worley Mon 19-Nov-12 21:47:49

the radiation would have been very very minimal. barely a dose
you receive more radiation on an airplane flight than you do on an airplane...

Worley Mon 19-Nov-12 21:48:28

or even a chest X-ray that was meant to be...
sorry distracted !

yummytummy Mon 19-Nov-12 21:52:43

hi, dentist here, honestly dont worry at all. the amount of radiation in a small intraoral xray is very minimal and it was done for diagnostic purposes and a clinical reason. it must have reassured you to know that the permanent teeth were there right?

why did you not want her to have an xray? if she had fallen over and damaged a tooth or had some other problem she would have needed one. if it is just radiation levels then you really dont need to worry. there is a certain amount of radiation in the environment anyway and this xray would hardly have added to a normal exposure anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now