Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Very swollen lymph nodes in DS's neck

(12 Posts)
LakeFlyPie Sun 18-Nov-12 20:29:52

DS (4.5) had tonsilitis a week ago, couple of days off school and seemingly recovered by weds. Has been a bit tired but OK in himself since but throat seemed better.
Today he complained of a sore neck and when I looked his lymph nodes look huge (small plum size I'd say) obviously visible from front and behind.
He doesn't have a temp nor a sore / red throat, just seems tired and a bit whingey (which isn't like him).

Don't feel it's worthy of a visit to GP ATM
Am wondering about sending him to school if he seems alright in himself but is still swollen on the morning.

Is it usual to get the swollen glands after rather than during the acute illness?

Any advice or experience / reassurance would be gratefully received.

TIA

LakeFlyPie Sun 18-Nov-12 20:30:24

tonsillitis even

beautifulgirls Sun 18-Nov-12 20:41:28

Any chance he has now got mumps?

Beamur Sun 18-Nov-12 20:43:24

I'm not a doctor, but always thought swollen glands were a sign of fighting an infection.
Personally, I'd dose up on Calpol and see how he is in the morning. If still swollen and whingey I'd keep off school.

LakeFlyPie Sun 18-Nov-12 20:43:27

Not sure, it's his cervical nodes that are swollen not his face, would it be like that with mumps?

<off to google mumps>

dikkertjedap Sun 18-Nov-12 20:51:32

I would at least contact the OOH and probably take him to A&E. If the lymph node gets so big that quickly then this is a sign that he has a massive infection and possibly a rapidly spreading infection. He may need very heavy duty antibiotics asap or even IV antibiotics. Personally I would get him see tonight and not wait!

I had this after what seemed a relatively harmless infected spot. I then developed a massive lymph node in my neck and I apparently had the early signs of blood poisoning, cue: heavy duty antibiotics. A&E took it very seriously and the doctors said he was pleased I had not waited as it may not have had a happy ending.

dikkertjedap Sun 18-Nov-12 20:53:14

I had no fever by the way! So not having fever does not mean that it is not serious!

Don't want to scare you BTW, but better safe than sorry.

LakeFlyPie Sun 18-Nov-12 21:07:50

Thanks all for replies.

shock dikkertjedap he's eating and drinking normally, no temp, just seems a bit off colour and swollen glands. He's fast asleep in bed ATM...was thinking more along the lines of will he be OK for school tomorrow not shall we go to A+E...will try NHS direct

dikkertjedap Sun 18-Nov-12 21:15:49

I had no other symptoms then the suddenly massively swollen gland on only one side of my neck. Good appetite, no fever, no pain. Glands can be a little swollen if you are off colour and have an infection, but if they start to swell a lot it is usually a sign that the infection has started to spread. In my case the small spot was almost gone, but it had spread through my blood (basically septicaemia, which is very dangerous).

ggirl Sun 18-Nov-12 21:19:53

my dd has just recovered from mumps
she was fully vaccinated
but she is 20 yrs old , caught from a housemate
GP said she wasn't fully vaccinated cos she didn't have the booster at school leaving age...<<< guilty mum >>

her symptoms started with a headache , feeling flu like then achey glands which she though may have been wisdom teeth
lasted about a week

CharlieBoo Sun 18-Nov-12 21:20:51

My dd had one huge gland/node after tonsillitis and took a while to go down.... I wouldn't drag him out of bed to take him to a and e but I'd ring your gp tomorrow for some advice but they can take ages to o down after illness.

out2lunch Sun 18-Nov-12 21:23:19

what charlie says above really
dd had one this size after a virus - it never did go away again but dr told us perfectly normal

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now