Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Doctor or not?

(6 Posts)
maxybrown Fri 16-Nov-12 14:07:43

Could get DS seen today most probably - has had a temp since the middle of the night Tuesday leading into Wed so he has been off school wed thur fri, temp between 38.5 and 39.8, constantly coughing, not eating at all but trying his best to drink - just the constant coughing he keeps bringing it back up at times. He says nothing hurts but he isn't moving at all and his breath stinks like a chemical of some sort.

I don't want to drag him to docs for them to say, yup a virus but at the same time don't want to leave him if he needs something. The doctor we'd get to see is rather abrupt. DS is 5 and currently asleep next to me on the settee, snoring and sounding like a rabid dog hmm

DeWe Fri 16-Nov-12 14:18:44

How do you feel about it?

If he were mine I'd know whether he needs a doctor or not iyswim, but from the description he might or might not.

Does the temperature come down with calpol-and are you using ibroprofin as well.

How often does he bring it back up?

I wouldn't worry about not eating as long as he's drinking.

IS he wee-ing at all?

Is he having periods where he's awake?

Put your ear to his chest. Does it crackle, or squeak when he breathes (check in various places) If the answer is yes to that you need to get him checked out.

maxybrown Fri 16-Nov-12 14:51:02

Yes ok thank you have gone through all those things - he is hardly ever ill!!

Calpol is bringing it down but only had ibuprofen once as makes his bowel bad especially with no food

Thanks for the point about weeing - he hasn't been at all today, since about 3am actually

Will ring shortly and see if I can take him up, no appts at the minute

thank you smile

HazzleMcDazzle Fri 16-Nov-12 14:52:33

His temp is quite high and he sounds a bit listless, so I'd probably err on the side of caution and get an appointment. Might be best to do it today and get seen at your local surgery rather than risk him being the same or worse tomorrow when you'd have to go to OOH.

HazzleMcDazzle Fri 16-Nov-12 14:53:34

sorry, x-post there! Hope you manage to get seen today.

maxybrown Fri 16-Nov-12 14:54:01

yes I had thought that too - am hoping when I ring they'll say to bring him at such and such a time and wait to be seen as no appointments left

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: