Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS (5) had an asthma attack in the night :(

(8 Posts)
poachedeggs Sun 11-Nov-12 07:56:09

He's never had one before, although he's been treated for asthma for the last 9 months to try and resolve a chronic cough. I guess that's the diagnosis made now sad

I thought it was croup at first, he was coughing and coughing and drooling in panic. But although it sounded croupy I realised he was struggling with his chest as well and managed to get him to take salamol with a mask. It felt like it took forever to work, I just kept repeating it. He was really panicking and said afterwards it felt like a lace around his chest. He does also have a bad throat by the sounds of things so I gave him Calpol too, and he slowly improved enough to sleep after an hour or so.

Sorry, just venting a bit, it was scary.

Obviously we'll need to see the GP ASAP to get the meds reviewed (he takes 400mcg budesonide from a turbohaler twice a day) but is there anything else I need to do/look out for in the meantime? I was planning to give salamol twice a day before the turbohaler and maybe up the budesonide to 600mcg until we're seen.

He's still asleep, poor thing. Horrible, scary night.

brettgirl2 Sun 11-Nov-12 08:21:37

I really think you should take him to out of hours now. My dh (aged 32 at the time) got a right lecture from the doctor about not getting proper attention quickly enough for an asthma attack. If it was me last night I would have called an ambulance. I dont mean to scare you but you cant take any chances with asthma.

brightermornings Sun 11-Nov-12 08:24:04

I agree. I have asthma and this week I've had a chest infection. It's bloody scary when you can't breath.

poachedeggs Sun 11-Nov-12 08:30:57

I also have asthma, so I know how frightening it is. When I was 8 a school friend died of an asthma attack so I don't treat it lightly. But I've never been told to go to A&E with an attack, unless the salamol wasn't working?

I followed the guidance on an asthma guide I was given - salamol every minute and if not improving in 5 minutes call 999. It did improve so I didn't think it would be necessary, and obviously I didn't leave him thereafter. He's still in bed sound asleep, but DH is home from work so he's with him.

If he's still wheezy when he gets up I'll go to OOH though.

poachedeggs Sun 11-Nov-12 08:46:23

He's just got up and he's lots better. Has a croaky throat but his breathing is good, better than I expected.

brettgirl2 Sun 11-Nov-12 08:54:38

You said in the original post 'it felt like it took forever to work' and described it as a scary night hmm. Then asked for advice on how to medicate a lifethreatening condition prior to going to the GP. Glad he's feeling better but honestly read it from the perspective of someone who wasnt there!!!

Sirzy Sun 11-Nov-12 09:06:01

Don't increase anything other than the salubtamol yourself. Before you change anything else you need to be seen by a GP.
Tbh after one attack which was treated at home I doubt they will change the medication anyway but certainly get checked

poachedeggs Sun 11-Nov-12 09:17:57

Of course it seemed like forever - even just ten seconds of your child struggling for breath would seem like forever! In fact it did improve but at the time it was scary. I think if I hadn't been scared that might have been worse?!

I was just looking for any tips I suppose, not asking for advice about medication. I followed the guidance I've been given by the GP and asthma nurse (which includes advice on calling 999 if no improvement within 5 minutes, and seeing the GP within 48 hours of an attack to review medication). I've only ever had one proper attack, before I was diagnosed, and DS has had none so even though I knew what to do and followed the instructions, it was frightening, and I've no idea what to expect after an attack.

I will get checked Sirzy. I've been told I can increase the steroid for a few days if he has a cough or seems chesty, which is why I assumed I'd be as well to increase it just now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now