Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Headlice - Natural repellents?

(6 Posts)
VodkaKnockers Fri 09-Nov-12 23:05:55

We have given the dreaded letter at home. There is a head lice outbreak at the school.

I've been throught both DSs hair tonight with the Nitty Gritty and so far they are clear.

I noticed that last time I was in Boots that the sell the Vosene 3in1 which has a natural head lice repellent.

Is this worth it? Never had to deal with lice before so would rather try stop any infestation.

VodkaKnockers Fri 09-Nov-12 23:06:31

Bugger!

The spelling in that post is appalling!

Goldmandra Sat 10-Nov-12 00:53:50

A few drops of tea tree oil in each bottle of conditioner is supposed to do the trick.

incywincyspideragain Sat 10-Nov-12 20:35:40

we use a nit oil from Neals yard (base oil with rosemary, tea tree, lavender in) to treat hair. You can use quassia bark chips as a repelant (soaking chips in water and using the water as a final hair rise) we've not tried it but I think that is as bout as natural as you can get.

My SIL uses the vosene 3:1 and swears by it, she sprays my nieces hair with Conditing defence spray a couple of times a week when there is lice in school and again says that works so imo worth a try.

Whistlingwaves Sat 10-Nov-12 20:38:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

charllie Sat 10-Nov-12 20:44:28

I use tea tree shampoo and conditioner on myself and DD also a nitty gritty comb for when she does have them (removes eggs and lice without the need of special lotions)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: