Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can I send DS into school later today?

(21 Posts)
catanddog Fri 09-Nov-12 08:53:08

My DS 5, threw-up twice in the middle of the night. He seems fine this morning, colour in his cheeks, and has had toast for breakfast. He has a class football match this afternoon that he's been desperate to play in and he'll be gutted if he can't take part.
Do you think i can send him in later today as long as he continues to be ok?

Whenisitmysleepytime Fri 09-Nov-12 08:58:03

No.

If they vomit it's 48h out of school.

My class had 4 weeks of a vomiting bug going round EVERYONE. all because one child was sent in when obviously unwell and then he projectile vomited across the classroom. It was awful! Please keep him home.

YDdraigGoch Fri 09-Nov-12 08:59:47

Yes - if you're confident it was a one off. Kids throw up all the time, especially in the middle of the night, for no apparent reason. (both mine did anyway). If they'd had an interupted night's sleep I would let them sleep in a bit and take them in late.

PixieHot Fri 09-Nov-12 09:00:08

No, definitely not!

ThickCut Fri 09-Nov-12 09:04:13

No, ds is off school today because of sickness bug and is distraught about missing something going on at school today he was looking forward to, but hey that's life. Don't risk infecting others, that is very selfish.

NigellaTufnel Fri 09-Nov-12 09:07:54

Absolutely not. The rule is 48 hours for a reason. It wasn't just a one off reaction to something.

You could potentially ruin the weekends of the whole class, plus teachers and other staff.

VernonSmith Fri 09-Nov-12 09:09:31

No, no, no. Don't do it! One throw-up might just possibly be something he'd eaten, but two is a bug. Other parents will not thank you...

BetterBitOfButter Fri 09-Nov-12 09:13:23

No! 48 hours.

VolumeOfACone Fri 09-Nov-12 09:18:08

No I wouldn't.

PatriciaHolm Fri 09-Nov-12 09:22:20

No; rules will be for at Least a 24 hour absence post sickness. If you do send him, he is bound to tell someone at some point at which point you will get an annoyed phone call anyway.

5madthings Fri 09-Nov-12 09:24:32

NO!! My ds4 vomitted once last night, rather spectacularly and serms okish this morning and has kept down bfast etc but he is at home. The rule is 24hrs at our school, 48 hrs at pre-school.

Goldmandra Fri 09-Nov-12 09:25:23

No.

The 48 hour rule is there to protect everyone and that include children who may be vulnerable for some reason. You may not know if there is one in your DS's class.

If he infects others they may end up missing something they want to do too.

It is a shame but it would be inconsiderate to put his feelings over the needs of others.

catanddog Fri 09-Nov-12 09:32:19

Thanks for the responses - normally I would say no too, just that he seems completely fine this morning and has just asked for more breakfast. School office said 48 hours at home, however having emailed his teacher, the response was bring him in later today.

PixieHot Fri 09-Nov-12 10:18:52

Sorry OP, but with all due respect, your DC's teacher isn't a respected professional medical body like the NHS confused.

Try putting yourself in the position of the other children's parents.

ImperialFireworksInMyKnickers Fri 09-Nov-12 10:22:26

I'm sorry he's going to miss the football match, but the bug will still be in his body (expect a spectacular runny poo or two!) and at 5 they really aren't 100% reliable about handwashing.

coppertop Fri 09-Nov-12 10:23:47

Just because he feels okay, it doesn't mean he won't pass the bug on to others.

Very unfair to put everyone else at risk, just because one child wants to play football.

Sirzy Fri 09-Nov-12 11:20:44

So normally you would follow the rules but because it will upset your son your willing to risk infecting the rest of the football team!

Keep him at home, there will be other football games

minmooch Fri 09-Nov-12 13:33:59

Please keep him at home. Other children are vulnerable. I have a child at home with cancer. His brother is at school and is a risk if bringing home bugs from other kids whose patents have not kept them off the required time. A nasty bug can put my child in hospital. Please act responsibly as you have no idea if other children are vulnerable.

VernonSmith Fri 09-Nov-12 13:53:30

So one child doesn't want to miss a football match, so goes to school and infects all the other children who - believe it or not! - might also feel a bit miffed if their own favourite activities are messed up because said child has passed a stomach bug on to them. Great. confused

I don't think much to the teacher, either.

YDdraigGoch Fri 09-Nov-12 13:57:19

Everyone is assuming he has a bug. He might just have thrown up for someother reason - being over-tired, over excited, too many sweets, some food that didn't agree with him. If he's fine, then it's not likely to be a bug - take him to school!

Goldmandra Fri 09-Nov-12 14:08:39

He may not have a bug and he therefore may not be infectious.

It is impossible to know, which is the reason that infection control guidelines recommend 48 hours exclusion.

It is a shame that the teacher thinks the guidelines don't matter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now