Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Baby ear infections

(10 Posts)
Nigglenaggle Fri 09-Nov-12 08:05:48

Dc has had a cold for about a week now, and is not himself but isnt ill enough that we are super worried about him. He is pulling at his ear a little, not constantly. The ear itself looks normal as far down as we can see. So my question is, if he had an ear infection, we would see something right? I dont want to drag him down to the doctors to be told he has a cold and feel like an overprotective parent, but equally obviously I dont want to sit him at home feeding him calpol for another week to find he wont get better without antibiotics.

Goldmandra Fri 09-Nov-12 08:49:11

No you wouldn't be able to see anything. They are really easy to miss. If he seems to be in pain I would take him to the GP.

I have missed them in both of my DDs at times and DD2 ended up with a perforated eardrum twice. It made me feel quite guilty although they healed up fine.

oricella Fri 09-Nov-12 08:53:14

Yes - ear infections are very hard to spot from the outside, so I would get it checked today, especially before the weekend.

MrsApplepants Fri 09-Nov-12 08:59:34

Take him to the GP.

DeWe Fri 09-Nov-12 09:36:34

No you wouldn't see anything.
Ds had them almost constantly from 3months to 20 months, and the only time we saw something was when his drum perforated, then there was discharge.
He usually had a temperature with them though, and you won't standardly get antibiotics with an ear infection, as often it doen't help. Some GPs will, a lot won't.

Nigglenaggle Sat 10-Nov-12 12:11:47

He has picked up alot last 24hrs and is quite perky, thanks though for the advice will bear it in mind for the future. If not a/bs then what do they give?

Inmyopinion1 Sun 11-Nov-12 05:16:26

The evidence suggests that the majority of ear infections (bacterial or viral) will clear up without antibiotics. Those that are bacterial may get better slightly quicker with antibiotics but there's no quick way of knowing which ones they are. We also know that side effects from the antibiotics are more likely than faster resolution.

Ibuprofen (nurofen, calprofen etc) tends to be better for ear pain as it has an anti-inflammatory effect which is very effective against the kind of pain children get with earache. GPs may give topical ear drops which contain antibiotics but also steroid which also works to reduce inflammation and probably gives greater benefit.

Hope that helps.

Nigglenaggle Sun 11-Nov-12 18:59:28

Thanks thats the info I needed smile

PotteringAlong Sun 11-Nov-12 19:05:40

Is the teething? My DS tugs at his ears when he's in pain from a tooth coming through.

Nigglenaggle Sun 11-Nov-12 19:59:36

Yes teething is also going on to add to the fun!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now