Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

persistant high temp..

(14 Posts)
ditsydoll Thu 08-Nov-12 22:10:25

DD has had a high temp since Monday night. Iv been controlling it with calpol and took her to the doctors tonight to get checked out. She has a cough, cold and swolen glands.

Iv just given her a dose of calpol and her temp is 39.2, she had calpol about 4 hours ago and it didn't seem to help much, iv stripped her clothes off to keep her cool, plenty of water and she's in a cool but not cold room.

Her heart seems to be really racing and I'm just abit concerned as the temp is so high. Would you take her to A&E with high temp, raised heart rate and she seeks to he breathing a little fast?

ditsydoll Thu 08-Nov-12 22:11:02

She's 3 1/2

BeaWheesht Thu 08-Nov-12 22:25:26

So has it never gone below 39 even with calpil? Have you tried nurofen? Is she big for her age? Sometimes the doses by age aren't enough for taller kids for example - a doc could work out a correct dosage.

Did they check throat, ears, chest today? What about urine? Any pain peeing?

Some chest infections are impossible to hear with a stethoscope so it could be that and if you're worried about her breathing get her seen.

How has she been in herself? Playing/ lethargic? Drinking/ eating? Rousable?

I don't think I'd go to a&e but I might ring nhs ESP if it's never come below 39 even with meds - 39 isn't scarily high though so I wouldn't panic.

I know how you feel, have 2 here myself with a v similar soundin bug but they've needed steroids for asthma / croup and dd antibiotics for her ear.

beautifulgirls Thu 08-Nov-12 22:27:09

You need to be calling the out of hours doctor at least here and having someone see her. Ibuprofen may be more helpful to control her temperature here, but get her checked out first.

ScarahScreams Thu 08-Nov-12 22:28:09

The heart racing means she has an infection her body is working hard to get rid of. It must be a nasty one poor little thing.
I would get her checked, 4 days with such a high temp needs checking.

Sirzy Thu 08-Nov-12 22:28:28

Have you tried ibrobeufen?

Increased breathing rate is normal with a fever but if your worried then do get her checked out.

Do you have a fan? If so put it on oscillate and aim it so it cools the air around her not directly on her (if that makes sense)

Make sure she has lots of fluids when she is awake

ditsydoll Thu 08-Nov-12 22:29:05

Doctor didn't check her water, its come a little below 39 but not a lot, she's only a little thing for her age.

Doc checked ears chest and throat but her cough does sound chesty to me.

She's been lay on the couch all day and won't eat. She's still drinking but has diarrhea so I'm a little worried about dehydration too.

BeaWheesht Thu 08-Nov-12 22:29:36

Hmm think I'd get her seen then.

Sidge Thu 08-Nov-12 22:30:53

Phone Out of Hours and get her seen again.

stickybean Thu 08-Nov-12 22:34:16

My daughter had this for a couple of weeks. After lots or trips to the doctor they eventually sent her for an X-ray. Turned out she has pneumonia.

I was quite shocked as apart from a persistent temp and a cough she never seemed THAT ill to me. blush
Antibiotic knocked it on the head.

Maybe worth mentioning the possibility to the dr. Hope she gets better soon smile

BeaWheesht Thu 08-Nov-12 22:38:14

Yes exact same happened to ds with pneumonia (though his temp was higher)

Goldmandra Thu 08-Nov-12 23:21:39

I think you need to get her seen by a doctor tonight one way or another.

ditsydoll Fri 09-Nov-12 01:33:23

Just got back from out of hours they said she's just got a nasty viral infection and gave her ibuprofen to take to help bring temp down, fingers crossed it will help. Thanks for your help.

Goldmandra Fri 09-Nov-12 08:34:19

Glad it wasn't something more serious. Poor little thing! She must feel awful.

I hope you can have a duvet day together today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now