Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Unknown

(3 Posts)
rrf Thu 08-Nov-12 10:28:39

Hi I'm wondering if anyone can help me. My youngest dd (2.5) has recently had some problems with her gums for which I have not got a definitive answer from either dentist or a doctor. The doctor gave antibiotics which seems to help as the condition is clearing up, but now my five year old has it. Can any of you help speed some light on what it might be?
High temp (controllable with cal pol)
Irritated, swollen gums which seem to discolour on the gum line ( has now gone back to normal pink on 2.5 year old)
My eldest is c

rrf Thu 08-Nov-12 10:34:32

Oops sorry my eldest is also complaining of sore throat and headaches. Neither have cold sores, or any blisters in hands and feet. Both have been to the dentist within the last month and have great teeth
Any ideas? Thank you !

Inmyopinion1 Sun 11-Nov-12 04:59:57

You've obviously considered hand, foot and mouth but an infective cause seems the most likely aetiology given the high temperature and discomfort. Improvement with antibiotics may be coincidence (most self limiting illnesses will clear up in a similar timeframe) or may be real. Given the older child is reporting a sore throat then it could be strep, or just a virus. Most of the time doctors/dentists will not commit to a definite diagnosis because the answer is infection and the actual organism, be it viral or bacterial, is hard to prove and won't change management.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now