Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What are these funny blisters round DS's mouth?

(11 Posts)
MyNameIsInigoMontoya Mon 05-Nov-12 23:48:27

I have noticed DS keeps getting small clusters of tiny blistery-looking things on the skin round his mouth (but not right by his lips). They are generally more of a browny-orangey colour rather than red, quite small and not very noticeable, and don't seem to be obviously sore or itchy (he doesn't seem bothered by them). They don't look like cold sores - not in the same place, smaller and not so red or scabby.

They aren't a big problem or anything, but I would still like to know what they might be and whether it's something catching? Especially as he has a comforter which he still likes to snuggle round his mouth/face and suck the label so if they are catching, that will probably be covered with whatever it is... he is nearly 5 btw. Thank you!

SophiesMummySaid Mon 05-Nov-12 23:59:14

Sounds like herpes vesicles (cold sores)

tutu100 Tue 06-Nov-12 00:00:56

Could be impetigo. How long has he had them for? If it is that then it is very contagious.

tazmo Tue 06-Nov-12 12:01:24

Hand, foot and mouth or impetigo? Goes round nurseries really easily?

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Tue 06-Nov-12 23:59:05

He's had them, I dunno, a few weeks I think - they are not that noticeable and he is terrible for getting food all over his face still blush so it took me a while to realise there was actually something else there!

Cold sores are right on your lips normally though aren't they? And I think those are usually a bit redder and scabbier. His are not right on his lips but more around his mouth but not touching the lips.

I'll have a look for some pics of impetigo or the hand and foot thing and see if they look the same, thanks...

ThatVikRinA22 Wed 07-Nov-12 00:00:29

take him to GP and they will tell you exactly what it is - better to know surely?

ThatVikRinA22 Wed 07-Nov-12 00:00:36

take him to GP and they will tell you exactly what it is - better to know surely?

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Wed 07-Nov-12 00:11:44

Mm, had a look. The pics of impetigo didn't look that much like it, they all looked much worse - bigger, more red and more yucky - so not sure about that. There was one pic of hand, foot and mouth that looked a little more like it, but on the other hand I haven't noticed him having any other symptoms of that - no spots on his hands or feet, no mouth ulcers and he's not been poorly recently.

All the cold sore pics looked worse and more red too, and usually seemed to be right by or on the lips, so again I don't think it's that.

I am hoping it might just be some sort of mild irritation, perhaps from his comforter? Hopefully the fact nobody else in the family has had the same so far, although I think he's had it a little while, might mean it's nothing contagious?

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Wed 07-Nov-12 00:13:54

Yeah perhaps I should really. It just seems very minor and hardly worth bothering them with, it doesn't seem to be sore or bother him at all! Also DD did that amazing miracle-recovery thing as soon as we got her to the out-of-hours doc the other week (after having a v high temperature which wouldn't go down, until the minute we got her to the doc's) so they probably already have me down as a fussing loon mother grin

cocolepew Wed 07-Nov-12 00:15:22

I had impetigo not so long ago and it was just random spots , not the crusty spreading type. It was like blisters that kept popping and reforming.

MegMogAndOwl Wed 07-Nov-12 09:30:57

You could try the pharmacy, they spotted when my ds had impetigo, I thought he had a cold sore. I still had to go the the gp to get the treatment though.

Also I find that the images on the Internet also seem to be worse case scenarios, my ds only had a small sore, nothing like the pictures I found.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now