Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

6 weeks old DD and fever

(8 Posts)
SanneSannes Mon 05-Nov-12 21:38:08

I'm worried that my 6 weeks old DD got infected with a cold/cough/fever that her 22 months old brother has been suffering from, but Im having difficulties getting a reliable temperature I'm using Brown's digital fever thermometer, but am getting various results...). Does anyone have any recommendations how to measure the temperature of such a tiny person more reliable?

narmada Mon 05-Nov-12 21:44:42

Just feel her forehead and compare to yours/ your older child? If she feels hot she prob needs to be seen by doc just ti out your mind at rest.

Sirzy Mon 05-Nov-12 21:44:51

With her being so young if you think she has a fever I would be tempted to call OOH for advice.

oricella Mon 05-Nov-12 21:50:03

Yes, do call OOH / NHS direct/24; fever in a 6 week old is not normal and should be checked out. How does she seem otherwise?

Not to scare you, but do read up on meningitis symptoms just in case

TwoKidsAndCounting Mon 05-Nov-12 22:12:38

Hi, definitely get a fever checked out. My DD contracted meningitis at 6 weeks old, your instincts should tell you what to do. I would say you don't need a thermometer to tell you your child has a fever, if your worried get it checked asap and put your mind to res. good luck!

beautifulgirls Mon 05-Nov-12 22:24:55

Another vote here to call the OOH doctor. She needs to be seen at this age with a fever.

Goldmandra Mon 05-Nov-12 22:37:37

OOH doc will have a reliable thermometer. If she doesn't have a fever you will be able to bring her home and relax. If she does she will be looked after. Win/win situation.

knackeredmother Mon 05-Nov-12 22:41:28

Temp in a baby needs to be seen, def get checked out tonight. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now