Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

a little worried about DD - school rang today.

(6 Posts)
ThatVikRinA22 Mon 05-Nov-12 19:49:32

Since DD started back at school in Sept (she is now in year 11) she has been plagued with silly, niggly, little illnesses and has had too much time off school.

today they rang me to say she has been doing an average of a 4 day week since going back.

they said she looks ashen faced, peeky, and is generally "not with it"

i have been saying the same to DH that she just doesnt seem well at all, she is indeed ashen faced, dark circles around her eyes, constant coughs and colds, feeling tired and sick all the time.

she is a good student and doesnt burn the candle at both ends - she goes to bed at 9pm each night and sleeps well, eats ok, lots of rubbish and not enough fruit or veg but she is 15 i guess thats allowed....she is a home body and doesnt go out on week days - she just meets friends maybe one day of the weekend and is always home for 9 if she goes out, she mostly likes her friends to come here.

she argued the toss today because i took her to the gp, she doesnt like fuss, but agreed to go in the end.
she is not pregnant btw.

she does get quite heavy periods and im wondering if it could be iron deficiency... GP is sending her for blood tests for glandular fever, thyroid problems, iron deficiency, and other routine tests. GP also mentioned stress due to exams....

but im a bit worried.....

Sirzy Mon 05-Nov-12 19:52:22

When I read your post my first thought was glandular fever, I had it at a similar age (start of year 10) and a lot of what you describe sounds like I was.

Make sure the school are aware that the GP is just looking into things so its not just you letting her stay off for the fun of it and promise to keep them informed as to what is happening.

blueberryboybait Mon 05-Nov-12 19:54:40

If you suspect it is iron deficiency - and she sounds like I felt when I was seriously anaemic - then get some Spatone sachets from Boots, mix in a little OJ and start her on those whilst waiting for blood results.

have a look at the signs and symptoms listed here.

TheMonster Mon 05-Nov-12 19:56:40

I was thinking anaemia too.

cuppateaandagingersnap Mon 05-Nov-12 20:02:09

Sounds like the GP is doing a good screen to see if there's anything medical going on, all of the above mentioned quite commonly present in adolescents, they are also going through a period where they need more sleep and are very susceptible to getting physical symptoms due to stress and anxiety. You're doing the right thing getting her checked out but even if they do turn up something like anaemia it just means she can get treated. Common things are common and it's very unlikely to be anything serious - doesn't stop you worrying I know!

ThatVikRinA22 Mon 05-Nov-12 20:14:37

gosh - had a look at iron deficiency symptoms - gp listened to her heart and said it was racing....

she has a lot of those symptoms....the pale skin, tiredness....will take her for the blood work tomorrow (path lab was shut by the time her appointment was scheduled today)

im working, but DH can pop her to the path lab for bloods.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now