Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

8 month old DS has had blocked nose for 10weeks. Cold or something else?

(6 Posts)
maxijazz Mon 05-Nov-12 19:44:04

It started in August with a cold, he then had a blocked nose, mainly at night, for about 3 or 4 weeks. I got some saline drops from the dr and about 2 days later he came down with another cold (around mid sept) he has had a blocked nose ever since. Symptoms are mostly at night when he struggles to breathe through his nose when on his back meaning he wakes 3-4 times a night. During the day he's ok but when he's concentrating on a toy or something he kind of 'snortles'.

I've tried:
Steamy room at bath time
Olbas oil
Herbal version of Olbas oil
Nurofen and calpol
Regular squirts with nasal spray
Sleeping him on his side (he hates it and immediately rolls onto his back)

As a first time mum I don't know if this is normal or whether it could be something else, I'm thinking an intolerance to something perhaps or teething, but surely teething wouldn't cause a blocked nose for this long? He is just starting to cut his first two teeth now.

Any advice on how to deal with a blocked nose at night and opinion of whether this is normal would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

OpheliasWeepingWillow Tue 06-Nov-12 06:44:32

Could it be related to allergies? That is my first thought after going through your list.

maxijazz Tue 06-Nov-12 21:03:35

Thanks for your reply Ophelias. I did wonder that too, I took him to the dr today to discuss it and she said that in the absence of 'bad' nappies it's unlikely to be an allergy to food. I've cut out bathing foam/soap etc and have always used baby washing powders etc but just in case I'm rinsing all his clothes twice. His room is dusted and cleaned regularly but I'll do it more often and I'll change wipe brands just in case. I'll see if that makes a difference.

Dr said that it's not unusual for babies to have blocked noses for weeks after a cold and to just ride it out. Here's to many more restless nights!!

nightcat Thu 08-Nov-12 20:18:05

are you giving him cow's dairy?

maxijazz Thu 08-Nov-12 22:37:12

Yes I am, although oonly a couple of spoonfuls of yoghurt a day, and occasionally milk on his cereal, but I mainly use formula for that. The dr didn't seem to think it was an intolerance because his nappies are fine and he's not in any discomfort in his tummy. Do you have experience of a cows milk I tolerance? What should I be looking out for? Thanks!

nightcat Sun 11-Nov-12 15:22:35

my ds became severely constipated on introduction of cows dairy, he improved when I removed it completely, although later on he was also found gluten intolerant
In time we settled for gluten free dairy-lite diet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now