Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Nits virgin needs help

(15 Posts)
FortiesCromarty Sun 04-Nov-12 20:38:29

Hello,

We have our first infestation of nits so I'm off out tomorrow to get de-lousing supplies, what do I need to get?

What are the best products in your experience, and do you use anything to prevent re-occurrence? Do I have to tell the teacher or other parents?
Helpblush

FannyFifer Sun 04-Nov-12 20:39:55

Nitty gritty comb and cheap conditioner, that is all you need.
Comb, comb, comb.

FortiesCromarty Sun 04-Nov-12 20:42:34

And that just combs them all out? Don't I need to nuke them with something? Do you do the combing every week as a prevention as well?

ByTheWay1 Sun 04-Nov-12 20:44:11

Fine tooth nit comb and hours of patience...

Have also used Hedrin in the past - great spray on action, but a bit of a beggar to wash out as it is so oily... not insecticidal - it is a smothering one - works though

NellyJob Sun 04-Nov-12 20:46:49

eww you poor thing, never mind you will be blase as hell sooner or later.
what fannyfifer said is the best.
I think you do have to 'tell the teacher' but only if you can face it.
Probably about half the class is already infested.
don't bother mentioning it to the other parents.
If your child is a girl with longish hair, keeping it up in plaits goes a long way.

glowfrog Sun 04-Nov-12 21:10:43

Full Marks does a great job - we also use tea tree conditioner, though be mindful that it doesn't kill the lice as such, just stuns/smothers them so you can get them off with a comb.

My 9 month old DD just got her first lice from her older half-siblings. The joy.

Goldmandra Sun 04-Nov-12 21:43:28

FannyFifer is right.

Just get a Nitty Gritty comb and a big bottle of conditioner. Comb through the hair thoroughly in sections so you don't miss any.

Do the while family in case one has crawled across.

Repeat the process every two or three days for three weeks.

The treatments do kill some off but they don't always get every one and they don't kill the eggs. This means that you need to keep combing and conditioning to catch any that have been missed and new ones as they hatch.

FortiesCromarty Mon 05-Nov-12 22:30:15

OK, did a massive comb through with conditioner this morning until I couldn't get any more out, then DS came back from school with a head full of lice this evening. Did they hatch out, or jump on during the day do you think?

Goldmandra Mon 05-Nov-12 22:34:10

If they have hatched they will be very tiny. If they are large enough that you can make out parts of them clearly they have jumped on from elsewhere.

Ugh!

Have you told the school?

NellyJob Mon 05-Nov-12 22:35:56

they don't jump but hatching, maybe.
It is incredible how many each combing misses, keep at it.....
have you tried rinsing in vinegar then blow drying?

ilovemountains Mon 05-Nov-12 22:37:46

Some treatments do kill the eggs as we well.

Beamur Mon 05-Nov-12 22:41:19

Keep combing. Nitty gritty is excellent.
Any conditioner will do, but tea tree is supposed to be repellant too.
Don't leave it longer than 4 days between combing and once you are free, do a precautionary comb every now and again.
If you've been combing and still find big ones - your kids are being re-infested from someone else.
Very common in schools. Good idea to tie back long hair, hairbands also good - someone also recommended hairspray on tightly plaited hair.
I think Vosene do some kind of anti nit shampoo too - I thought about buying it but it smells awful!
Adults get them less often, but they do sometimes infest - kids taste nicer apparently. My DSC's were very prone to picking them up, but neither DP or I ever got them, but their Mum did occasionally.

Goldmandra Mon 05-Nov-12 22:41:32

Nellyjob you are quite right. It was the wrong phrase to use. If they are big they have either crawled on from elsewhere or were missed this morning.

Some treatments do kill eggs but nothing kills everything reliably enough that you can skip the regular combing and conditioning afterwards.

NellyJob Mon 05-Nov-12 22:44:59

i did notice that my girl had them more than my boy, longer hair and closer playing I suppose...if it's any comfort I haven't seen them since about year 5...(fingers crossed)

Goldmandra Mon 05-Nov-12 22:51:19

I think they get a bit more aware of personal space as they get older so they don't get transferred as easily.

My head is itching now!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now