Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is it ok to send DD to pre school tomorrow?

(17 Posts)
lamby79 Sun 04-Nov-12 19:29:48

She's been ill since last Saturday. Initially with a very high temperature and extreme diarrhea but it's been getting gradually better over the week. She's now pretty much back to normal but she is still pooing about three/four times over 24 hours.

She's desperate to go and see her friends and physically she's up to it but would it be bad to send her in? If it were a stomach bug i'd hate to infect other children... but it has been 8 days now.

Any advice greatly appreciated, thank you.

lucyellenmum Sun 04-Nov-12 19:43:43

I'd send her - she sounds like she is over the infection and the advice is 24hrs, it could be that she is "going" more because she has become a bit lactose intolerant after the bug, very common apparently. I would say so long as she isn't going to have an "accident" then send her. I would.

ILoveSparklers Sun 04-Nov-12 20:01:25

Send her in, you can always pick her up of needed. Probably not going to be an issue for the othe children.

Sirzy Sun 04-Nov-12 20:03:32

Is her poo back to normal?

If not and she is still suffering from whatever bug she has I would keep her off a few more days.

lamby79 Sun 04-Nov-12 20:55:35

Thanks for replies. The poos are still very 'explosive' but apart from that she's fine - might be some sort of intolerance, it does happen mainly after she eats.

I think i'll send her in and hope for the best, thanks.

IvanaDvinkYourBlad Sun 04-Nov-12 20:59:49

It's 48 hours after last loose poo - and no swimming for two weeks apparently (who knew) so as not to pass on the nasty bugs to others.

beautifulgirls Sun 04-Nov-12 21:08:14

No please don't send her in, it isn't fair on the other children or their parents. She needs to be at least 48hrs after the last signs of diarrhoea before she mixes in preschool again.

NellyJob Sun 04-Nov-12 21:09:45

don't send her imagine her embarrassment if she has to 'explode' at a bad time

teenyweenytadpole Sun 04-Nov-12 21:10:37

Hi, as a preschool teacher I'd say sorry but if her poos are still explosive, she should still be at home. I know it's a pain, but there it is.

noisytoys Sun 04-Nov-12 21:10:43

I'd send her. DD is getting over tonsillitis she's not 100% still taking penicillin until Friday but doc says its ok to go in so if she's up to it she's going in

ScarahScreams Sun 04-Nov-12 21:12:07

No way.

Sirzy Sun 04-Nov-12 21:15:27

Noisy that is different though, most nurseries say that after 48 hours on antibiotics children can go in as long as they are well in themselves as there is very little chance of them being contagious.

D and V rules are VERY clear that it should be 24/48 hours after last incident before they return to stop it being passed to others.

Beyond that why should the nursery staff have to deal with an explosive poo that you know is likely to occur?

If you think it is some sort of intolerance then take her to the GP so he can decide.

Goonatic Sun 04-Nov-12 21:15:41

No! My dd has really low immunity and would no doubt pick it up! Maybe one more day to let her tummy recover completely?

blizy Sun 04-Nov-12 21:25:23

No, exclusion rules are 48 hours from last bout of diahorrea/vomiting.

Tuttutitlookslikerain Sun 04-Nov-12 21:29:31

No don't send her in. The rules are 48 hours after the last bout of diarrhoea and it doesn't sound like she is at that point yet. You don't want the whole class and teachers to come down with it, do you?

moleskin Tue 06-Nov-12 20:10:09

I wouldn't send her. We have kids undergoing chemo at our school and if they were to pick up d and v it could prove very nasty. Best to wait it out

corblimeymadam Sat 10-Nov-12 08:07:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now