Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Possibly silly question about headlice

(7 Posts)
aleto Sun 04-Nov-12 13:21:28

Although I've been a parent for over 20 years, none of my children have had headlice (very lucky!) and so I don't know what to look for. Ds2 (10years) has had a very itchy head for the last week or so. All I can see are white/beige flakes which are attached to the hairs but will come off if I push them off my my nails in a sort of tweezer action. Information I have read says the eggs wouldn't move when touched. So has he got headlice? Or is he just not washing his hair properly and it's flakes of shampoo?!!

shattereddreams Sun 04-Nov-12 17:07:57

Sounds more like itchy flakey scalp.
Smother his head in I've oil then wash a couple of hours later.
Try a shampoo like polytar over counter in boots.

shattereddreams Sun 04-Nov-12 17:08:12

Olive you dumb iPad

CurlyhairedAssassin Sun 04-Nov-12 17:13:09

Ds was the same. Couldnt see much but just white bits by his ears.I decided to look through his hair properly so washed it, put light conditioner on then worked a lice comb through it. Was horrified at what was on the comb that I hadn't seen from just a dry hair examination!! Lice and egg cases - yuck!!! Lol

twilight81 Sun 04-Nov-12 18:55:11

Dry skin would just fall out if you shake your fingers through the hair, if your having to pull it off /slide down the hair with your fingers then its more likely to be eggs... They are really tiny and quite a distinctive shape.. Have a look on google for some pictures of them.

aleto Sun 04-Nov-12 23:19:55

Thank you, will go and get a comb tomorrow!

confuddledDOTcom Mon 05-Nov-12 00:48:46

I recommend the nitty gritty comb. You can get them on prescription if you think one of your children has lice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now