Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Teeth brushing before breakfast

(6 Posts)
sailorsgal Fri 02-Nov-12 14:25:36

Not after. hmm

I know my dentist has been recommending this for ages but have forgotton why. Couldn't imagine going out with porridge betweeen my teeth. grin

And isn't it hard to get the kids to brush for two minutes. Ds's school used to like them to brush their teeth after lunch and my dentist was not happy about it so I was the only one who didn't send in a toothbrush and toothpaste.

Fillings in the under tens are increasing.

noisytoys Fri 02-Nov-12 14:39:13

Brush teeth after breakfast or breakfast will taste like toothpaste confused

TotallyEggFlipped Fri 02-Nov-12 14:44:01

If you eat or drink anything acidic then brush your teeth it can cause more enamel erosion as the enamel gets softened.
Rinse your mouth out with water after eating instead.

(not a dentist)

frazzled09 Fri 02-Nov-12 14:45:52

Brushing straight after fruit juice or other acidic food/drink can damage teeth iirc. I think it is a bit grim to brush before breakfast and not after. My DM does this and always has horrible coffee breath as a result.

I made up my own compromise of DS and I brushing half hour after breakfast to give saliva a chance to neutralise fruit juice acids first. No idea if i am right or not though!

sailorsgal Fri 02-Nov-12 14:56:59

I always wait about half hour after eating and never directly after acidic food.

It was on the news this morning regarding brushing before breakfast not after.

sailorsgal Fri 02-Nov-12 14:58:09

Yes, agree about the coffee breath. Yuck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now