Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Urgentish - bad breath after tonsillectomy

(4 Posts)
combinearvester Thu 01-Nov-12 17:57:27

DS (2.9) had his tonsils out a few days ago. Bad breath yesterday - really foul today and foul burps (like when they've got a stomach bug).

Half the bloody internet says bad breath is normal. The other half says it is a sign of infection.

As far as I can tell he has no real fever (on ibuprofen and calpol constantly). Is eating and drinking a little. Is miserable but has been since op.

Don't recall hosp giving any advice as to bad breath. Should I call out of hours GP?

swooosh Thu 01-Nov-12 18:00:47

Bad breath also a post-anaesthetic symptom. If he's eating and drinking I'd leave it to be honest. Make sure he has lots of 'scratchy' food - crisps, cereals etc to remove the slough.

combinearvester Thu 01-Nov-12 18:14:54

Thanks he is eating and drinking a bit. He doesn't really fancy scratchy foods but has managed some cereal today and yesterday.

Redrun Thu 01-Nov-12 18:34:52

Bad breath is a post operative symptom. However, if it does carry on after a week I would take your son to the doctors. My DD got an infection after her operation. Ditto the advice with scratchy food but also mix in some soothing foods as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now