Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

eye drops for eye test for 5yo wwyd?

(12 Posts)
Actuallylookingok Wed 31-Oct-12 23:09:04

My ds had an eye test as he was occasionally complaining of a sore eye. Turns out he has a intermittent 'lazy ' eye esp when tired. Optician used eye drops to accurately measure vision etc and they stung like crazy and he had very dilated pupils for rest if day. Several months later we have hosp referral come for further test and itmentions they'll need to use eye drops again. I sm happy for him to be seen but don't really want him to go through the painful exp of dilating drops again when its already been dobe. Can they examine him without?

BeaWheesht Wed 31-Oct-12 23:12:01

Afaik they need to do the drops to examine the eyes properly.id get it done, always have with ds, it stings but it's no big deal in the wider scheme of things

sausagesandwich34 Wed 31-Oct-12 23:15:05

with younger children it really does help them get an accurate assesment and things like squints change over time so the results from 6 months ago won't be accurate now

the drops do sting but only for a couple of minutes (I've had them many times) and the less fuss you make the less fuss your DC will make IYKWIM

VerySmallSqueak Wed 31-Oct-12 23:16:07

In my experience they don't continue to use them on a regular basis,so I hope that's the case for your ds.

I think it is only done when necessary,and it's just a case of trying not to worry ds,and reassuring him if he needs it,just as with any dental treatment or an injection that is not nice,but needed.

Mybabyseyes Wed 31-Oct-12 23:17:49

Is it better to sort out the long term problem or refuse the eyes drops whig will cause temporary discomfort? hmm
My ds has the drops today to check for abnormal vision. He is 3 months old. I felt bad for him but know the consequences of not checking his eyes properly would be much worse.

incywincyspideragain Wed 31-Oct-12 23:18:06

I'm not an optition so not sure if they can do a full test without, ds1 has lazy eye and eye tests every 6 months, they always have to put drops in to do an 'accurate' test, I was told they needed to do it to slightly blur the vision to make the lazy eye work harder to see what it can do - ds has never complained about them although he looks a bit weird after, wears sun glasses (I guess his eyes are sensitive) and can't read until they wear off,

maybe they have different type of eye drops? know that sounds daft but I always make assumption that meds are the same but when ds2 needed GA for second time I commented that I was feeling more confident because he'd already had GA to be told meds use depend on doc on day shock worth a shot and def worth telling they why you are concerned

sausagesandwich34 Wed 31-Oct-12 23:18:34

oh yes, forgot to add

the letter they send out always says they may use drops

in reality, the first hospital visit may well be the only hospital visit they are used and once DD could accurately read the charts they didn't use them again (can't remember when I stopped having them)

BackforGood Wed 31-Oct-12 23:23:20

I'd consider it a bit like a vaccination - worth a second's pain for the good it does in protecting you, or like going to the dentist. No-one likes having work done, but getting the treatment is surely better than what would happen if you didn't.
My dd2 used to have to have them, and, after the first minute ir two it just feels a bit wierd, rather than hurting. Surely that's worth putting up with to ensure they get a good and accurate picture of what's going on ?

Actuallylookingok Wed 31-Oct-12 23:54:22

Thanks for good advice. I think i'm a little overprotective and not always rational when it comes to my kids !
x

EyeoftheStorm Thu 01-Nov-12 14:53:26

Actually my DS2 (3) and DD1 (6) have had the drops several times. The first experience was not great for either of them. DS2 really freaked out and it was hard to calm him down. But every time since they've been absolutely fine.

I think it must be a strange experience and a bit of a shock. Now I take cuddly toys for comfort and chocolate to take their minds off it.

Actuallylookingok Thu 01-Nov-12 15:19:17

I think I'll take chocolate for me! DS is absolutely fine about it and I haven't made a big deal of it...just come on here to wibble!

mackerella Thu 01-Nov-12 20:19:36

Hi actually, DS has to have his eyes dilated every month before a fundus examination (they look at the back of his eye really closely). His eye drops are always in two parts: first they do a local anaesthetic, and then about a minute later they put in the drops that actually dilate the eye. It might be worth asking about this? To be honest, the worst bit is not the drops themselves but the anticipation while you wait to have them put in. Hope all goes well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now