Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

small baby? will he become normal size?

(21 Posts)
happywithit Wed 31-Oct-12 19:42:24

my baby was born very small, 2.7kgs, he use to wear 3-6 months baby clothes until he was 1year, now he is 1years 3 months some of 1year cloths fit him but still all the 6months cloths fit him.
he is in the lowest growing line, he doesn't eat a lot, i keep taking him to the gb, they saying that he is following his line, but he looks very small, is anyone had a baby like him can he fit in his age clothes size in the future?
i am worried hat he will be very small child compare to others in his age?

TiddlyZomZomZombie Wed 31-Oct-12 22:29:45

Hi there, my DS was that size as he was born a bit early, and he has stayed small. He's 18mo and is mainly wearing 6-9 and 9-12 month clothes.
He's a small eater too, which I'm trying to relax about as he's perfectly healthy, and has grown consistently on his line.
Both DH and I had a small build and were petite as children, so I'm not actually concerned about his size anymore. DH is tall and so are all my family, I'm sure he'll catch up eventually!

I'm sure your son will catch up eventually too, but I wouldn't be surprised if he and my DS stayed smaller than their contemporaries until they're 7/8 or so.

Just keep giving him a good healthy diet and he'll get there in the end!

Sirzy Wed 31-Oct-12 22:33:21

As long as he is growing that's fine. The centile lines show the range of normal. Some people are small some are big!

Ds is 3 next month and still wears some 12-18 clothes, 18-24 trousers fall off him!

PacificDogwood Wed 31-Oct-12 22:36:30

IMO sizes on baby clothes are pretty radom.

DS4 is a chunky 2.7 year old and still fits some of his 12-18 months clothes. I would really not go by clothes size. He is also the World's Worst Eater, refuses all fruit and vegetable, and has the most energy imaginable.

If you have had your DS checked out, he is growing along his centile and is a happy, alert child then there is nothing to worry about.

Also, how tall are you and his DF? He may just be following a family traint.

PacificDogwood Wed 31-Oct-12 22:36:56

random, sorry

DewDr0p Wed 31-Oct-12 22:40:00

I don't know what will happen to your ds of course, but here's what happened to my 3:

I had one smallish baby. 25% all the way. He is still on the small side at 8, not as tall as most of his friends and really skinny.

I had one massive baby. Right at the top of the chart, chubby as you like. At 6 he is average height but still heavy (no fat on him now, he is just dense lol)

Then I had one really little baby. Not as small as your lo but always in that shaded part at the bottom of the chart (wow that shaded bit made me feel crap!) He's now 5 and is really quite tall and strong and I think will outgrow the other two shock in the next couple of years.

Musomathsci Wed 31-Oct-12 22:40:26

Don't forget that those centile charts were worked out on a particular population (Caucasian Europeans, I think) so if you are not from that ethnic group, they may bear very little relation to what is normal for your family. As long as your child is following the same centile, there's nothing to fret about. It's much more worrying if they start dropping across centiles - that signals something is amiss.

BertieBotts Wed 31-Oct-12 22:40:53

DS was 3.04kg when he was born, was small for all of his first year (to the point I got told I wasn't feeding him enough when he was FINE hmm) now he's 4 he's bang on 50th centile average.

LostInWales Wed 31-Oct-12 22:44:03

My tiny boy is 10 now, he has followed the 2nd to 9th centile his whole life (appart from occasional trips down to the 0.4th) he can happily wear 7-8 year clothes and can share tops with his chunkier 5 year old brother. He is incredibly sporty, not the smallest in his year, brilliant at maths and perfect in every respect. I had years of worrying over his size and now I realise he is fabulous as he is. I've got a giant 12 year old, diddy skinny 10 year old and fairly average 5 year old. Oddly enough they are all the perfect size for them. Try not to worry, if he is healthy in other respects then he is just him.

LostInWales Wed 31-Oct-12 22:47:07

Oh and at sports day last summer he and the other two smallest boys in his year cleaned up on every single race. Made the 'average' looking children look clumpy and slow wink

unexpectediteminbaggingarea Wed 31-Oct-12 22:47:33

my dd wears clothes that my ds, who is 2 and a bit years older than her, has just grown out of. He was in 18 month trousers until aged 3.

is your ds growing, happy, lots of energy, meeting all his milestones? If yes, then don't worry.

And remember, 12-18 month clothes for example are made to fit the biggest 18 month old child, so a real whopper. Ignore clothes sizes and look at your child, and if you're worried, talk to the gp.

NuzzleandScratch Wed 31-Oct-12 22:47:39

My dd1 is 2.7, and was wearing an age 9-12 month dress today! She mostly wears 12-18 or 18-24 month clothes. She's always been 9th centile, and I'm petite, so I've never worried. She eats a seemingly tiny amount, but somehow keeps to her line. In contrast, dd2 (14 weeks) is 50th centile!

As others have said, as long as he's roughly tracking his line, he should be fine. As a rough indicator of height, if you measure them at age 2 and then double it, this gives approx adult height. It sounds wrong, but my obstetrician told me that, and it worked out right for my sister and I!

Fuzzymum1 Sat 03-Nov-12 13:34:35

My eldest was tiny when he was born - 2.1kg and was off the bottom of the weight and height charts for years and years. He had a massive growth spurt around 15yo and now he's 18 he's just a shade under 6 feet tall! He's still very slim at about 9 stones. (and praying hard for a little bit more growth)

AnitaBlake Sat 03-Nov-12 13:48:32

My DD was below percentiles when born and gained the 0.4 percentile at around 6weeks. She's now on the 9th at 2yo and in 12-18m clothes (just gone into them now). My DSD was also small but she's five now and gone from 4-5 to 6-7 in a year. I'm sure he will catch up but they all have their time, so I just try to enjoy her for now and see what happens.

There's no point in comparing, she's small but walked and talked before most of her peers.

AnitaBlake Sat 03-Nov-12 14:57:38

Oh meant to add, DH was 3lb 3oz born, he's 5ft 10 and built like a proverbial sh*thouse now, so I'm not worried!

exexpat Sat 03-Nov-12 15:07:52

Some people are big, some are small - a small baby doesn't necessarily become a small child or a small adult, a big baby can slow down and be overtaken by others... A lot of height is determined by genes - is your (or your DH's) family small?

ll31 Sat 03-Nov-12 22:04:45

ds was 2.55 at birth, now 12 yrs,5 ft 7!!

cestlavielife Sat 03-Nov-12 22:36:12

yes he might be small his whole life.
so what?
so long as he is happy and loved.

confuddledDOTcom Sat 03-Nov-12 23:35:18

It depends. My eldest was 4lb 2oz born at 31 weeks. She stayed tiny, around 6 months behind clothes wise, which looks like a lot when they're babies. When she started school she was in the same age clothes but then at that age 6 months is nothing and covers the same size. She went up a school year (supposed to be a September baby) and isn't the biggest in the class by a long shot but she's not the smallest and doesn't look out of place.

My second was 4lb 8oz born at 35 weeks, she was also IUGR. She is 4 in January, goes to a nursery school and we've had to dress her in 3-4 uniform because they don't do 2-3 (which tends to be big anyway) so she has the elastic pulled in until it looks silly and her trousers turned up to her knees! Her baby sister who is 2.5 years younger is almost the same weight as her now and will soon over take her. She will never be the "right" size because she is an ex-IUGR baby, but she can hold her line pretty well. She was in 0-3 clothes for a year and still managed to hold her line!

Holding the line or going up is the important thing, there's nothing wrong with being small, even if you're below the chart, as long as you stay there or go up.

cory Mon 05-Nov-12 09:26:07

My ds was smaller than yours (2.5 kg), is now a 12yo of at least average height, but is shooting up rapidly; I expect him to be taller than either of his parents.

As for fitting in his age clothes sizes in the future- no child does that ime.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Mon 05-Nov-12 09:30:17

My DD was about the same weight and is now at 6 on the 98th percentile for height and 91st for weight

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now