Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

2yo DS with herpes on his tummy???

(6 Posts)
pimskie Tue 30-Oct-12 09:12:28

Went to GP yesterday with 2YO DS for something else and in passing mentioned a red patch on his tummy. THought it was allergic reaction. GP looked, shrugged and said 'oh it's herpes'. I was shock and tried to find out how and why and what next, but got a shrug and 'oh well' from him and was shown the door. Feel angry at just being shown the door with tons of questions. I don't even know which variety it is (am assuming the same as cold sore, not the genital one but as it's on his tummy I have no idea) or if he's contagious! He goes to nursery and i don't know if he's ok to go. might have picked it up there for all I know. Anyone come across this?

BartletForTeamGB Tue 30-Oct-12 10:42:13

Is it shingles? It is caused by the same virus as that causes chicken pox, herpes zoster. He may have never shown signs of chicken pox but may have had it without the rash. You can't catch shingles from anyone.

Sometimes GPs give aciclovir for shingles, but it is of limited value from 24-48 hours after the rash has developed. If it is shingles, the Health Protection Agency say that he can go to nursery as long as the rash is not weeping and it can be covered (it is possible to catch chicken pox from the rash by direct contact, although, unlike chicken pox, it is not spread by breathing the infection on people).

www.hpa.org.uk/webc/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947358374

It is impossible to make a diagnosis online though (hard enough in person sometimes!) and in a little one like that, I'd be inclined to see another GP to see what they think.

pimskie Tue 30-Oct-12 12:11:25

Thanks for your reply, but GP specificallly said Herpes Simplex. I knew shingles was Herpes Zoster and a re-occurance of chicken pox as my mum had it about 5 yrs ago. Am just really suprised at GPs casual diagnosis and then not answering questions. Am going back to different GP tomorrow to ask my list of questions! And to ask if it reallly is Herpes Simplex and not shingles or even something entirely different... [useless GP emoticon]...

BartletForTeamGB Tue 30-Oct-12 13:35:33

Sorry to have been not very much help then! Hope it goes better at the GP tomorrow.

pimskie Tue 30-Oct-12 14:23:21

No, it was helpful! Will certainly ask the nice GP tomorrow if it could be that!

BartletForTeamGB Tue 30-Oct-12 14:38:37

Make sure to report back with what that GP said. Just being nosy now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now