Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is this hand,foot and mouth disease?

(6 Posts)
floppops Mon 29-Oct-12 15:05:54

My 2.10 DD has a red rash on her feet,ankles and soles and is quite peeky-not sleeping well but quite tired.
My mum who's a retired pediatrition thinks it's hand,foot and mouth.
She has no other symptoms at the moment. She seems to be developing a slight rash around her mouth today.
Should I keep her away from other children and for how long?
We were due to see a friend with a two year old and a small baby tomorrow and then a Halloween party on Wednesday. Also supposed to be going to see her cousin who's two on the weekend. Not sure what to cancel..

wonderstuff Mon 29-Oct-12 19:01:48

www.nhs.uk/conditions/Hand-foot-and-mouth-disease/Pages/Introduction.aspx sounds like hand, foot mouth.

shattereddreams Mon 29-Oct-12 19:10:36

Please avoid othe children. My Ds had it and was almost admitted to hospital with dehydration.
Arm yourself with difflam mouth spray. Your 2 yr old can have this and it was a godsend. Dose up with paracetamol as well.
Hope she has a mild case.

LoosingBattle Mon 29-Oct-12 19:11:54

DD got sent home from nursery with hand, foot and mouth, she couldn't go back until all the spots disappeared, took about a week. Luckily she was fine in herself and she didn't get any spots in her mouth. A few weeks later though all her finger and toe nails started splitting and peeling so don't panic (like I did!) if that happens, apparently it is quite common.

floppops Mon 29-Oct-12 19:29:57

I'm just wondering if this is hand foot and mouth. Her foot rash appeared yesterday and was worse this morning but seems to be fading tonight. No other symptoms really.
How do the symptoms appear usually?
I'll keep her away from other children just in case but would like to know know for sure what it is. Will take her to the doc tomorrow.

lollipoppi Mon 29-Oct-12 19:43:10

Sounds like it to me! My DS has just had it, he got the spots on his hands and feet and back of his neck but none on his face or mouth, keep away from other children. At its worse he didn't sleep for 3 nights as they were very itchy. Arm yourself with calamine lotion, And Calpol and keep dd hydrated as may go off food.
DS hands and feet are still shedding skin after 2 weeks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now