Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

SCARLET FEVER do siblings become carriers?

(4 Posts)
addictedtolatte Mon 29-Oct-12 06:59:00

hi my 16 month dd was diagnosed with scarlet fever yesterday and has a 4 year old brother. he has not caught it yet but is due back at school tomorrow. just worried he may carr infection to his classmates. would it be wise to keep him off. i dont think his friends would appreciate scarlet fever as there early crimbo present. :-[

addictedtolatte Mon 29-Oct-12 07:16:58

anyone?

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Mon 29-Oct-12 19:38:10

Two of mine had this last year, my youngest didn't catch it. Although it was easter holidays i didn't keep her away from other people.

yellowsubmarine53 Mon 29-Oct-12 19:47:28

Your 4 year may or may not be incubating scarlet fever, and they'll be no way of knowing unless he breaks out in a rash. My dd had it a couple of years ago but her brother didn't, and nor did anyone at nursery.

I didn't keep him away from people, but I obviously informed nursery asap and contacted everyone with young children that i had seen in the last week or so.

Schools don't normally advise parents to keep children off if a sibling is ill, but you might want to check if they have different rules for notifiable diseases.

Hope that your son is better soon. My dd responded very quickly to antibiotics, and it wasn't as bad as it sounded.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now