Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What do I do with him?

(8 Posts)
TessabelleDaydreamer Sun 28-Oct-12 07:35:34

My little boy is 6 weeks old and has always been reluctant to give up his wind. He is bottle fed a combination of expressed breast milk and formula.

He is always a bit of a grunter but over the last few days this has got worse, louder and sounds like he is in pain even though he is asleep. He also sounds rattly in his chest, you can feel it when your snuggling him and he seems happiest in his front as it seems worse lying on his back. His tummy can also feel tight. He is also feeding differently. He will usually take 120-150ml every 3-4 hours but he is now only having 80-100ml but wanting it every 1-2 hours.

I don't know if this is normal or if I should get someone to see him? sad

Any advice would be so helpful!

Thanks
Tess xx

mrsmplus3 Sun 28-Oct-12 07:47:17

With a 6 wk old baby I would phone NHS 24 now (presuming you're in Britain) and just explain everything. They will probably tell you to take baby up to hospital and a doctor will check him/her out. Everything will be fine, don't worry, you're dealing with it right away so whatever it is they will treat. smile

tiktok Sun 28-Oct-12 13:23:41

Tessa, you need to post in a different folder - try Children's Health.

KatMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 28-Oct-12 13:32:30

Hi there, we've moved this into Children's Health. Hope your DS gets better soon, OP.

mawbroon Sun 28-Oct-12 21:53:09

As per mrsmplus3, probably best to get him checked out.

But I am also wondering about tongue tie. Can I ask why you are bottle feeding EBM rather than feeding directly? Not judging, it's just that the breastfeeding experience can say a lot about the possibility of tongue tie.

list of symptoms here

article here from Dr Kotlow The tummy can feel tight when too much air is taken in when feeding.

twilight81 Sun 28-Oct-12 22:32:06

Sounds like silent reflux... Rattly chest and the fact he seems in pain ring bells for me, also reflux babies will start to feed more often to try and get rid of the pain.

Liddsie Sun 28-Oct-12 22:40:46

Why not try lactose free milk SMa do one really helping my little one

TessabelleDaydreamer Sun 28-Oct-12 23:56:28

Thanks everyone, I called NHS direct and they advised taking him to A&E, so we took him up and got him checked out. He was given the all clear thankfully, smile I was worried cos he had pneumonia when he was born.

However, I do think he may have reflux too. He's got his 6 week check this week so I'll have a chat with the HV then

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now