Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

High temp, sore mouth

(29 Posts)
mummynumnum Sun 28-Oct-12 07:03:00

Ds (2 1/2) has had temp since yesterday morning. Calpol and ibuprofen just about holding it off. Looks pale, phlegmy sounding cough and complaining of sore mouth. Could that be his way of telling me he has a sore throat? Will prob go to ooh if think could be tonsillitis or something. Has had febrile convulsion before (dd 6 had milions) with ear infection/sore throat.

fluffacloud Sun 28-Oct-12 07:08:44

Sorry your DS is feeling poorly.

Does he have any blisters in his mouth or is his tounge white?

DD1 complained of a sore mouth and had cold/cough when she had Hand, Foot and Mouth. She had a temp too.

Hope your DS feels better soon!

mummynumnum Sun 28-Oct-12 07:12:34

Not that I can see. Points to his Tongue when ask if it hurts. Feels bit bumpy on inside of mouth. Has just said he wants to go to doctorssad

wokeupandsmeltthecoffee Sun 28-Oct-12 07:24:51

My Lo is just getting over hfm. Highly contagious but over and done with in just over a week. Look out for a rash, hers started in the nappy area. Hope they feel better soon.

fluffacloud Sun 28-Oct-12 08:32:08

DD1 didn't get the rash, just the ulcers in her mouth and temp etc but as wokeup said, you should keep checking.

I took DD1 to the Docs, he confirmed H,F and M but there's no treatment for it - he calls it a 'Calpol and cuddles' treatment plan grin

If you have a Walk-in Centre near you it might be worth a visit just to put your mind at rest.

mummynumnum Sun 28-Oct-12 09:23:28

Yep on way up to out of hours now.

mummynumnum Sun 28-Oct-12 11:52:12

Thinks just a virus so just tlc, fluids and calpol for now! X

PickledFanjoCat Sun 28-Oct-12 11:54:13

Ds has exactly this, dr gave him antibiotics.

He's got a throat & ear infection.

mummynumnum Sun 28-Oct-12 15:03:50

Didn't get antibiotics. Still v
Distressed complaining of sore mouth
and can't really eat or drink now. Won't even take feed from breast nowsad

PickledFanjoCat Sun 28-Oct-12 16:00:45

What did dr say?

I know they gave ds them but a friends ds had the same and they said anti biopics would make no difference.

mummynumnum Sun 28-Oct-12 16:15:46

Just said congested but not in chest. Said throat looked bit red but didn't want to stick stick in and said prob viral!

PickledFanjoCat Sun 28-Oct-12 17:48:25

I can't remember which was around it is but anti bs are no good on something!!

Sounds exactly the same as ds.

He's a bit better but still grumpy and fussy.

mummynumnum Sun 28-Oct-12 18:30:42

Just had hour sleep on sofa but still woken up with sore mouth. Had spots on bottom when changed nappy.

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Sun 28-Oct-12 18:32:09

What does his tongue look like? Red, and like a strawberry?

(If so could be scarlet fever/ scarlatina)

PickledFanjoCat Sun 28-Oct-12 18:36:29

If your worried get straight back into Drs in the morning, DS was so ropey Weds. was close to taking him to the hospital, but he is a lot better now.

mummynumnum Sun 28-Oct-12 18:57:40

Can't really see as won't open mouth. Waiting for ooh to ring again.

PickledFanjoCat Sun 28-Oct-12 19:28:36

Oh poor thing, let us know how you get on. There is loads of horrible stuff around at the moment HFM, throat infection, fluey things.

mummynumnum Mon 29-Oct-12 08:21:52

V inflammed throat and Tongue. Got amoxicillin. Said rash could be hf and m but would see how progresses. Seems to have subsided bit today. Got few hours sleep on sofa. Managed to get couple yoghurts and some juice through a straw into him. Bless. Spots on bottom were worst but not brave enough to upset him yet by changing nappy. blush keeps telling me toes hurt!!!

mummynumnum Mon 29-Oct-12 12:04:53

Hmm! Calpol and ibuprofen given and still pretty miserable!

mummynumnum Mon 29-Oct-12 16:16:16

Can't get any fluids into himsad just waiting for gp to call. Anyone got any tips to try soothe his mouth/fluids into him?

PickledFanjoCat Mon 29-Oct-12 19:15:31

Maybe give some dyralyte if you think he's not getting enough. sad

mummynumnum Mon 29-Oct-12 20:18:44

He had some chocolate milk earlier so feeling bit happiersmile

PickledFanjoCat Mon 29-Oct-12 20:37:22

Ah brill! If its the same as DS its a week long jobbie im afraid!

knackeredmother Mon 29-Oct-12 20:41:05

Sounds veryuch like hfm. Bloody awful,u ds has had it twice and was in so much pain. Regular painkillers, difflam spray (numbs the mouth) and ice cream helped. Over in about 5 days. Good luck.

fluffacloud Mon 29-Oct-12 20:56:42

I must admit my DD wasn't really that poorly with H, F and M.

Her mouth was sore though and she loved home made Ribena ice-lollies. I don't really like her to have Ribena but it was fluid, sugar, vit c and soothing - all good things when they're unwell IMO.

Hope you both get some sleep tonight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now