Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

social worker for childhood cancer

(11 Posts)
daisydancer21 Sat 27-Oct-12 18:40:10

I have been trying to get my heating sorted for a while from the council, and the man in chaarge said he could refer us to ss to get social worker who can access grants (we need about £3000). I have had a letter today saying they want to send a social worker out to visit me and my chilren to discuss info recieve from the council with us? It looks like the same letter we got when we were someone made a malicious call to ss about us and now I'm terrified.

What kind of assessment do they do for a grant for my home? as far as I can see its a CAF an they want to know if I am coping with looking after my children sad I have more to think about, like my son is going through chemo-I don't need this sad If I tell them I don't want a grant will they not bother wanting to do it?

cestlavielife Sat 27-Oct-12 20:18:40

dont worry. if you child is sick it will be as a child in need/disabled child not child in need of protection. see it as way to get help

daisydancer21 Sat 27-Oct-12 20:48:50

Sorry, I should say that it was the disabled childrens team that the council referred us to for funding for heating. I just hear ss and panic lol! Any ideas what they will talk about/ do/ what forms they fill in etc?

minmooch Sun 28-Oct-12 07:12:38

Hi Daisy they will hopefully look into all the benefits that you can claim and help you fill out forms to apply for any that you do not currently get but now are eligible for - these could be child tac credits, Disabled Living Allowance for your son, Blue Badge scheme, housing benefit, coucil tax etc. They should also be able to advise you if there are grants that you can apply for, from the council or charities that can help you financially in these early days of your son's illness. They should also be able to liaise with physios and occupational therapists should your DS need them when discharged from hospital.

I hope that helps.

Hope your DS is doing ok xxxxxx

Lougle Sun 28-Oct-12 07:43:46

Don't worry! In lots of LAs, the child protection/reception and assessment team deal with all initial enquiries. Once they have assessed, if you meet the children with disabilities criteria, you get pawed on to them. Quite standard.

daisydancer21 Sun 28-Oct-12 16:26:33

Thanks smile Feel a bit better about it now after my initial panic smile

lisad123 Tue 30-Oct-12 14:18:16

Has them out to us to see about making changes to the house. They will be fine

KinkyDorito Thu 01-Nov-12 12:30:49

It will be helpful - we are given a social worker automatically with a children's cancer diagnosis at our hospital, though these work for Clic.

wheredidmyoldlifego Tue 13-Nov-12 23:27:11

Daisydancer, sorry to hear you're having problems especially your child's journey / battle with cancer.

If you're in Bristol, you'll find the CLIC Sargent Social Workers up on the 6th floor / blue floor, just past Day Beds. They will most certainly help you. Or you can ask your consultant to put you in touch with the Clic Social Workers - they're there to help you and your family,to access grants.

wheredidmyoldlifego Tue 13-Nov-12 23:28:39

PS.Agree with the poster who talked about blue badge, DLA and Carer's Allowance etc - our Clic Sargent Social Worker has been a massive help to our son and our family overall ever since the first day our DC was diag with cancer.

Good luck and best wishes.

Lillyaan Fri 16-Nov-12 00:39:58

Daisydancer No need to worry. From what you say it will be nothing sinister just simply a referral from the council. SS receiving this where there is a sick child HAVE to visit. Considering your situation if its a CAF, grab the chance you will be offered for all the help you may need.
If its not a CAF - may be just for grants/extra benefits etc then you should contact someone who can organise one EG Health Visitor or School nurse if you have school age kids.
Because if you have housing issues/heating problems this is where you will have a better chance of success even go to the top of the list for a house exchange with better facilities.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: