Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Suggestions please: How do you get your 6 month old to take antibiotics?

(8 Posts)
Furni1K Thu 25-Oct-12 22:34:08

Have a syringe to squirt a bit in the back of her mouth, a spoon to catch it all as it is spit out and shove it back in. Anyone got any suggestions/tricks that i could use? Help!

Seriouslysleepdeprived Thu 25-Oct-12 23:35:36

Been giving DS medicine for 5 months now. If you give it bit by bit into the the side of the mouth, couple of mls at a time. Distract with a toy, wait for them to swallow. Can take a while but goes go down smile

MsFlippingHeck Fri 26-Oct-12 12:15:48

I've got a dummy from Tescos that you put medicine in and then baby can suck it as you press the plunger to give medicine. It works (sometimes!)

spanishring Sat 27-Oct-12 08:16:12

Holding her arms down and forcing it in. Horrible but I was at a total loss to know what to do. Those ideas are much better thAn mine!

ipswichwitch Sat 27-Oct-12 08:19:46

I used a syringe aimed at the back of the cheek area and only squirt a tiny bit at a time. Then distract with a toy and wait for swallowing then repeat. Takes a while but this way all the medicine went down- DS is the master of spitting it out too, and he used to be on a lot of medication. Now hes 1 I can get him to take it quite happily off a spoon

BoysBoysBoysAndMe Sat 27-Oct-12 08:23:36

Put it in a couple of oz of milk when she's due a feed.

Once she's finished the first bottle with just a couple of oz and medicine in, give her a second bottle to top up to her normal feed.

ReindeerBOOOOllocks Sat 27-Oct-12 16:01:18

Check the bottle before putting it in milk as some antibiotics shouldnt be given with milk/food.

Syringing small amounts usually works, those dummies used to get spit out by our DC.

MrsLHofstadter Sat 27-Oct-12 16:25:10

Agree with syringe a bit at a time. It's not nice to do when they seem to be upset by it but it doesn't last forever. DS 21 mo now goes and gets the spoon giggling when he sees a medicine bottle....bad parent? hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now