Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Green gunk in toddler's eye

(6 Posts)
IWillOnlyEatBeans Thu 25-Oct-12 18:03:53

My DS is 2.8.

He has a bit of a cold at the minute and one of his eyes keeps oozing a sort of green gunk (looks a bit like bogies). I wipe it away and he does not seem at all bothered by it. His eyes are not red or itchy or swollen (yet!)

Does anyone know what this could be? Just another symptom of his cold? What can I do to help?

Thanks

lljkk Thu 25-Oct-12 18:11:43

It sounds like bacterial conjunctivitis.
Caused by him wiping snot into his eyes (lovely!!)

I think the modern thinking is that it usually clears by itself so just observe high hygiene standards. I don't even wipe it away, tbh, that seems to make it worse. See a GP if it bothers him or doesn't shift... er, relatively quickly. NHS direct could say how quickly.
You could ring NHS-direct for advice.

BeaWheesht Thu 25-Oct-12 20:06:55

If its been more than 3 days a pharmacist can prescribe eye drops.

Liskey Thu 25-Oct-12 20:19:30

Sounds like the conjunctivitis DD had. We got eye drops from GP which only needed to be administered twice a day rather than the ones you buy which need to be put in every 2 hours - not a joke with a squirming child.
DD turned out to have an ear infection as well as the conjunctivitis so if he starts running a very high temp take him to the doctor to be checked out.

IWillOnlyEatBeans Thu 25-Oct-12 21:11:39

Thanks!

Liskey Fri 26-Oct-12 07:04:44

Forgot to say its highly contagious, make sure he only uses his own towel and wash hands thoroughly else it'll spread. I didn't realise at first and I got it as well, it's not nice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now