Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Migraine in 10 yo ds

(4 Posts)
weegiemum Thu 25-Oct-12 13:26:42

im a migraine sufferer, as is my dad and also my children's paternal uncle. I've 2 girls who are fine but ds is struggling - he's on his second migraine this week! I think it might be his hormones, they've got far more frequent over the last 6 months or so, as he's approached 11 and got spotty! Mine are certainly hormonal!
He wakes up in pain, takes brufen and sleeps for several hours, then vomits and after that he's ok.
I've made an appointment with the GP for next week as I don't want him missing more school and I'd like him seen by a pead about this (dh agrees, he's a GP).
Not sure what I'm asking, I'm just worried for my gorgeous boy. Lookin s the pain in hi eyes makes me wan to weep!

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Thu 25-Oct-12 18:26:31

You can give him Migraleve as he is over 10, the pink one may help with the sickness. Also see if the school office can keep some for him as Migraine meds
are best taken asap.
Keep a food diary to see if you can find triggers, my ds has a problem with tomatoes. Is he sleeping well? another trigger with my son.
Get his eyes tested, tinted lenses can be prescribed if photo sensitive.

You need to get a paed who has an interest in childhood migraine, if by any chance you are in the south i can recommend one.

We have dealt with ds's severe migraine since he was 5 ( now 11) so if you have any more questions please ask.

eragon Thu 25-Oct-12 19:08:11

when my son was younger he was on migraine meds, but was taken of them by a consultant who suggested a exclusion diet for 6 weeks. this worked and he hasnt had a migraine since.

we avoided, x-box, citrus fruit, (oranges and also tomatos) caffine, (no fizzy drinks/chocolate) and cheese.
this is all about excluding high histamine foods and stimulants caffine.

i would also remove all squash type drinks as well.

weegiemum Fri 26-Oct-12 00:03:07

My ds only drinks water (he's very strict with himself about it)

I'm wondering about cheese as it's one of my triggers. Eeek that will restrict his (psta based) diet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now