Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Head lice that just WON'T GO. ARGGHHHHH

(6 Posts)
MayMom Wed 24-Oct-12 21:25:11

My two DDs (almost 4 and 18 months) have had head lice for weeks. We've tried wet combing and seem to get rid of them then they return with a vengence - and I also have them too. Gross. Should we try chemicals or just be more vigilant at wet combing?

duchesse Wed 24-Oct-12 21:30:09

Commiserations, OP. Nits are an utter pain. Are your DD otherwise healthy? Some of the more crunchy literature suggests that persistent infestation might be due to vitamin deficiencies.

MayMom Wed 24-Oct-12 21:42:55

They are well, they both eat really well and enjoy a good balanced diet. We use a nitty gritty nit comb which is great and we think they're gone then before you know it, they're back! It is really hard to use the comb on my 18 month old's head once she starts screaming and writhing but maybe we just need to be more vigilant and comb thoroughly every night.
Thanks

Goldmandra Wed 24-Oct-12 21:51:31

If you get them soon enough after they have hatched you prevent them from reaching an age to lay eggs and they will be gone. You just have to make sure you get them all before even one gets old enough to reproduce.

Keep plastering on loads of conditioner and give their hair a thorough combing every other day. Don't miss a few days because then you'll end up with fresh eggs and have to start all over again.

I know it's a pain to have to keep doing it but, even with chemicals, it is the only thing that really works consistently.

They are vile little creatures angry

incywincyspideragain Wed 24-Oct-12 22:06:14

we use a lovely smelling oil from neals yard and wet comb with it, apparently the tea tree in it stops the eggs from sticking to the hair.
we had to delouse this week and the lady also recommended quassia chips we've not tried it but I'd give it ago to avoid lice and using pesticides.

imperialstateknickers Wed 24-Oct-12 22:12:44

I love the Nitty Gritty, I also love (but can't really afford) Hedrin. But you have to keep to the schedule, we had no end of trouble with re-infestation when dd1's best friend's parents split, and her feckless alkie mum never remembered to do her children when she had them for her weekends, so she and her brother would spend the next few days merrily spreading them around the school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now