Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is this chicken pox?

(10 Posts)
PumpkinJack Wed 24-Oct-12 10:21:49

I know you can't diagnose but would appreciate your opinions. Ds, 4 had small spots (like a bite) on his chin, back of ear lobe and neck. These didn't do anything except get less red over a day or two. Now he has a big, red spot like I imagine cp to look like. It has developed a crusty head and itches a bit. He had no others though and has not been unwell.

I've just sent him to school, was that a mistake? Opinions appreciated please!

lljkk Wed 24-Oct-12 10:28:03

School will let you know what they think smile.
CP doesn't normally itch until after it's peaked, the drying up spots are what itches.
Crusty head could be a mildly infected insect bite, too.

Good luck (hope you don't get flamed on here, too).

PumpkinJack Wed 24-Oct-12 10:32:52

Oh thanks, I didn't even think about it really as he has been fine. Would it usually cause illness first?

Don't flame me, please!

Madmog Wed 24-Oct-12 10:41:10

When my daughter had chicken pox they started off as clear fluid filled blisters and the first one to appear was behind her ear lobe, followed closely by her back. She was very well prior to it and the first few hours, but did was very warm about 36 hours into it.

PumpkinJack Wed 24-Oct-12 10:52:58

Thanks for that. They have not been blisters, more like insect bite type spots. We have pets, could be flea bites I suppose.

lljkk Wed 24-Oct-12 11:11:49

DC1 was never the slightest bit ill with CP, DC2 was never worse than a little whingy. Other DC were a little ill for first 36 hours after spots were out & then they turned quite poorly. It varies hugely.

I tend to send them in when in doubt (tummy bugs excepted, keep them home if any doubts).

It's too unclear what it might be, so I think your conscience is clear until you have stronger evidence. We don't have fleas but we're always getting bitten by other things.

PumpkinJack Wed 24-Oct-12 14:19:19

Thanks. School haven't phoned and I've looked up pictures online and don't think it is. Will let you know if it turns out to be!

PumpkinJack Wed 24-Oct-12 16:38:05

Ok, the little spot on his ear lobe has a big white head. He seems to have another faint red spot appearing on his other shoulder.

What should I do? I've no idea, do I take him to drs for confirmation or otherwise, or is that a big No? I don't think it is cp but don't want to risk being negligent and sending him to school.

lljkk Wed 24-Oct-12 17:15:39

If it's CP he'll be covered in the morning. Check his nether regions in particular.
Make sure you've got full provisions in the house, like milk, other food, & Calpol.

PumpkinJack Fri 26-Oct-12 21:23:43

Just to let you know, I took him to the GP (checked with receptionist first) as spots not increased but not gone. GP thought it wasn't cp but wasn't prepared to say definitely not, so, with half term coming up anyway, I kept him home Thursday and Friday. Still no change but he feels poorly today so he has something but I suspect not cp, just a virus of some sort.

Thanks for your help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now