Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can't get my poor DD's temperature down...

(7 Posts)
Newtothisstuff Wed 24-Oct-12 01:52:49

My DD has tonsillitis she's 6.. She started her antibiotics this afternoon and her temperature is raging.. It's gone down a tiny bit since this afternoon but its 38.9 now.. She's so hot.. Given her calpol and water and a cool cloth it doesn't seem to want to go down.. Any tips ???

steppemum Wed 24-Oct-12 01:57:40

Have you used ibuprofen? You can use it together with the calpol. Undress her too (hard if she gets the shivers with the temp though)

Although it is distressing it isn't anything to worry about. Temperatures usually do go up in the evening, and she has started the antibiotics. Temp is the body's reaction to fighting the disease. As long as she doesn't go over 40, it isn't dangerous.

Poor dd though, hope she is feeling better soon

Newtothisstuff Wed 24-Oct-12 02:00:41

Thanks smile she's feeling very sorry for herself bless her..

TanteRose Wed 24-Oct-12 02:04:44

what steppemum said

try not to worry - the high temp will help to kill off the nasty bacteria/virus.

hope she is feeling better soon smile

TanteRose Wed 24-Oct-12 02:05:52

also, if she can keep fluids down, make sure she is drinking something. Ice lollies are also good.

beautifulgirls Wed 24-Oct-12 11:55:34

If it isn't responding you need to seek medical help again. It is very likely not to be serious but it isn't a time to just wait and see. Please take a read here www.meningitis.org/symptoms

dikkertjedap Wed 24-Oct-12 20:04:46

Antibiotics can take 24-48 hours before they start making a difference.

Are you giving maximum doses (given her age) of both calpol and nurofen/calprofen? Is she otherwise okay - eating, responding, playing etc.?

Tonsillitis can be very horrible so it is not surprising she feels ill, however, if she seems very unwell and you are very worried then you may want to exclude other causes, like strep throat etc. If in doubt I would take her to A&E.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now