Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Do I wait till tomorrow or go to doc with DS today?

(18 Posts)
MmeLindor Mon 22-Oct-12 15:48:16

He had stomach bug on Friday night, puked all night and into Saturday. He is 8yo.

Last time he vomited was Sat lunchtime. He didn't eat all day Sat but was drinking - small sips of water and flat coke.

He had a some salt sticks on Sunday, more coke and water. Tiny bit of brezel.

Today - scrambled eggs for breakfast which he ate a little of. He fell asleep this morning and slept for over an hour.

He ate a couple of spoonfuls of veg soup and a tiny bit of bread for lunch then fell asleep again.

Been sleeping an hour.

He may well bounce back and I'm not sure how much the doc can do anyway.

Do I wait till tomorrow or try to get an appointment this evening?

N0tinmylife Mon 22-Oct-12 15:54:16

As long as he is keeping fluids down, and not getting worse I would think tomorrow would be fine. I hope he feels better soon!

Poledra Mon 22-Oct-12 15:56:18

Hmm, I think, at his age, I'd wait till tomorrow, as long as he keeps drinking. Clear apple juice might be another option for drinks, as well as flat coke.

There's been some vicious tummy bugs around <crosses fingers that the Tower remains free>. Hope he feels better tomorrow.

ZombTEE Mon 22-Oct-12 15:57:57

I agree, so long as he's at least keeping fluid down, there's not much the doctor can do. Sleep and liquid are the best things for him at this point.

Really watered down OJ is good along with flat coke. And tastes better than Diorolyte! grin

I hope he feels better soon.

LaCerbiatta Mon 22-Oct-12 15:59:25

Scrambled eggs and veg soup are not easily digested so maybe not the best thing for him to eat. Plain rice, low fat plain yogurt, dry toast, apple pure, would all be a bit kinder for his stomach. smile

I think you can wait until tomorrow but to be honest I don't think they'll do anything.

NettoSpookerstar Mon 22-Oct-12 15:59:53

I'd see how he is tomorrow.

MmeLindor Mon 22-Oct-12 16:00:23

Thanks. That's kind of what I was thinking. Can't see that it would help and by tomorrow he might have bounced back.

Tbh, it wasn't helped by the fact that we flew back from Germany late last night so it might be he is catching up on sleep.

He was better yesterday afternoon (back to bickering with his sister smile

MmeLindor Mon 22-Oct-12 16:02:26

Tuga
I know but he won't eat plain yoghurt or rice. He loves meat and sausages and pasta.

I've been saying he has to eat bland fat free food so now he keeps asking about the fat content in foods.

'Is there any fat in Nutella' was my favourite grin

Poledra Mon 22-Oct-12 16:03:38

I'd try some plain pasta, then, maybe with a leetle grating of cheese over the top for flavour.

MmeLindor Mon 22-Oct-12 16:06:55

Yes, he'd eat that. Good idea

Thanks all. I sometimes get this 'am I being a terrible mum by being a bit lets-wait-and-see with this'?

MmeLindor Mon 22-Oct-12 19:08:16

Update - he woke from his nap and asked to have some soup, which he ate and then had a jelly.

We've had a game of Junior Trivial Pursuit (in which I was thrashed) and he's looking a lot better.

How daft would I have felt at the docs!

Thanks all.

Poledra Mon 22-Oct-12 20:19:25

Well, how about some advic ein exchange? I noticed a patch of rash on DD3's (4yo) back tonight. A cluster of red dots with one vesicle in the middle. She wasn't bothered about it till I noticed it then complained it hurt, but only after I'd been poking at it. What's the bets on shingles? sad Chicken pox is rife around here at the moment but she had it at 11 months.

Glad DS is feeling better.

MmeLindor Tue 23-Oct-12 09:20:20

Oh, no idea P. isn't shingles something that adults get?

DS was fine this morning and back to school, but I've been up all night. Bleaugh.

DeWe Tue 23-Oct-12 09:24:57

Shingles is something anyone can get after they've had chickenpox. You can catch chickenpox from shingles, but you can't catch shingles from chickenpox.

Poledra Tue 23-Oct-12 09:25:13

Dr Google says that shingles is rare but not unknown in children, and seems to be more common in children who had chickenpox before 12 months old... On the up side, children do not get the pain that adults get with shingles, thank god, and as long as they feel well enough in themselves, can go to school if the rash can be covered. Since it's all on her back (and looks even more like shingles this morning), she'll be OK, providing it doesn't make her feel ill. DH has taken the morning off to get her to the GP, so I'm waiting to hear.

Poledra Tue 23-Oct-12 09:27:26

And yes, DeWe, you're right - the chickenpox around here just now has no bearing on DD3 developing shingles, it's just coincidence. Apparently, though, as shingles is in an isolated area and can be covered up, we can be more confident that she's not infected anyone else, thank goodness.

Poledra Tue 23-Oct-12 11:16:17

GP has confirmed it's shingles, and says she cannot go to school. She's OK, but DH is having a 'mare trying to get the Acyclovir she's been prescribed...

MmeLindor Tue 23-Oct-12 11:31:09

What a shame. Glad to hear that it's not as painful for kids - my mum had shingles and was off work for months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now