Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Evil poo post vomiting virus

(5 Posts)
toomuchtooyoung Sun 21-Oct-12 10:14:00

2yo dd had 24hr vomiting virus 2 weeks ago. Was off food for four days but still taking some liquid. Had her first poo after about 5 days and it was quite evil. Now nearly 2 weeks on from initial virus her poo is still yellow and smells horrendous. Also had a cold for a week now.

Have taken a sample today to take to docs tomorrow to see whether it needs sending for testing.

Could it be some kind of parasite?

Sneezecakesmama Sun 21-Oct-12 10:22:12

Sounds more related to the bug, and also having a cold often causes nasty mucusy stools. You can see what the doc says but I can't think of a parasite that would cause these symptoms, at least not in the uk.

Try these probiotic drinks and yogurts to re establish normal gut flora.

DawnOfTheDee Sun 21-Oct-12 10:26:46

DD had the winter vomiting bug. Evil poo as you describe and never stayed in the fecking nappy went on for about two weeks. First 'proper' poo came yesterday. I have never felt so happy upon seeing a turd! grin

Fwiw we had a stool sample tested early on and confirmed norovirus (sp). Doc said not much they can do....just had to make sure she was staying hydrated really.

If it's still evil after a couple more days it might be worth phoning the gp for advice.

mawbroon Sun 21-Oct-12 21:37:59

DS1 had a really awful D&V bug just before he was 2. He was sick for about a week IIRC, and his poo was awful for ages afterwards. I discovered that the illness had left him intolerant to dairy and his poo went back to normal after we cut it out.

Worth a try?

Sneezecakesmama Mon 22-Oct-12 09:56:49

Dairy intolerance is not the usual outcome following gastro enteritis, and cutting out dairy in a toddler is not something to be done lightly. Obviously if it continues beyond a couple of weeks it should be considered as D&V can cause changes in the gut, but always supervised by a dietician.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now