Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Loose poo in toddler.

(2 Posts)
SneezySnatcher Sat 20-Oct-12 15:26:31

Hope this isn't TMI but I'm unsure whether DD's bowel habits are a cause for concern or not. She's 2.7.

She's always had one or two loose bowel movements a month but it's becoming more often. Occasionally they'll be 'normal', sometimes very soft and sometimes quite watery. I just don't know if we should be seeing a doctor or not.

She eats very healthily, loves fruit and veg and these make up most of her diet (her choice). She eats some full-fat dairy but not loads, although I'm trying to get her to have more. She'll eat some meat and eats pasta but won't touch potatoes. She has toast and whole grain cereal. We have cut right down on how much juice she has (only 1 small, watered down glass a day).

She's very healthy and growing well. She had dropped one centile at two year check but I wasn't concerned as she's extremely active and she certainly doesn't look like she's lost weight. I know changes in bowel habits need to be checked in adults but do you think DD is just showing signs of a high fruit/veg and low fat diet or should we see a GP?

Pancakeflipper Sat 20-Oct-12 15:32:16

I think it's a trial and error thing trying to find out what causes loose poo. I have a 4 yr old who rarely does a firm poo.
I would think either too high fibre diet.
Some fruits can make people have loose poo. My friend's child is loose after a small watered fresh orange juice.
Or an intolerance to something.
Could be toddler diarrehea?

I would keep a food and poo diary for a month. If you have a good HV speak to them or your Dr.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now