Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

3yo with a nasty cough

(14 Posts)
bulletwithspookybatwings Fri 19-Oct-12 18:41:28

DS has a horrible cough at the moment, I've given him Calpol and hot water with honey, is there anything else you can give at this age?

ChablisLover Fri 19-Oct-12 18:45:14

You could try a lemon and honey glycerine cough bottle but apart from that no. No cough bottles and decongestants until 6 years old.

bulletwithspookybatwings Fri 19-Oct-12 18:46:35

Damn. Poor little sausage looks like his head's going to explode each time he has a coughing fit sad

xkcdfangirl Fri 19-Oct-12 18:49:02

See your GP as it's impossible to diagnose over the internet, but some coughs in the under-5s can be helped with a ventolin inhaler similar to those used by people with asthma (doesn't necessarily mean DS has asthma, just that the medicine might be effective) - we use an inhaler when DS has a cold and it helps a lot, especially if coughing is keeping him awake.

bulletwithspookybatwings Fri 19-Oct-12 19:02:29

Thanks, I'll get him to the GP if he's as bad tomorrow, I was looking for something I could get him tonight really.

Sirzy Fri 19-Oct-12 19:13:46

Prop him up as much as possible to sleep. Steam might help a bit, or if you can get some tyxilix type stuff that could help soothe the cough.

If it gets really bad call your OOH GP who may feel ventolin will help.

ChablisLover Fri 19-Oct-12 19:45:33

Agree with the ventolin - ds takes bad asthma attacks everytime he gets a cold so from October till spring we are constantly under the cosh.

I've been given inhalers when the cough won't go and they do help.

Prop him up. Have you used baby Olbas oil or anything like that to help him breathe

Plus a drunk nearby to help sore throats

ChablisLover Fri 19-Oct-12 19:46:35

Other wise could it be croup?

But i would go to gp or out of hours tomorrow if possible.

bulletwithspookybatwings Fri 19-Oct-12 20:24:48

We have put Karvol on his sheets. I think he's finally gone to sleep, although he was happily playing octonauts instead of sleeping rather than coughing instead of sleeping.

bulletwithspookybatwings Fri 19-Oct-12 20:26:26

What is croup?

ChablisLover Fri 19-Oct-12 21:27:15

Croup is a childhood condition that affects the windpipe (trachea), the airways to the lungs (the bronchi) and the voice box (larynx).
A child with croup has a distinctive barking cough and will make a harsh sound, known as stridor, when they breathe in.

From nhs website

ChablisLover Sat 20-Oct-12 17:53:02

Bullet - how is your ds today?

bulletwithspookybatwings Sat 20-Oct-12 17:58:15

He is a bit better thanks, still coughing when he's running around and a bit overtired but he doesn't seem poorly now. smile

ChablisLover Sat 20-Oct-12 19:13:43

That's sounds like improvement

glad he is on the mend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now