Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Raised, rough rash on 3 year old

(12 Posts)
snowdropemm Fri 19-Oct-12 13:24:13

I'm hoping someone can help. My 3yo DS has a raised, rough rash all over his body (and i mean all), from his toes up to his neck. It isn't red at all apart from a few 5p size patches on his wrist and near his left eye. In fact, it looks like he has permanent goose bumps. The doctor doesn't think it is anything to worry about, but after 9 days it shows no sign of going. Its not itchy either. We have been putting Sudcreme on it but its not doing anything. Otherwise, he's just started with a cold.....!

Any ideas?

Viviennemary Fri 19-Oct-12 13:33:55

I'm amazed the doctor has just dismissed it. I would definitely go back and see another doctor. It could be anything I suppose. (That's helpful!!) You could try ringing NHS direct and see if they suggest anything. Maybe an allergy of some sort? Hope you get it sorted out.

Wrongmoreoftenthannot Fri 19-Oct-12 13:35:43

My DS had something similar and was sent home from nursery as they were worried. My Dr thought it was a viral rash and it went away after a few days. I'd describe it as permanent goose pimples. It was all over his back.

He picked up a ENT viral bug a couple of weeks ago and it reappeared then and went once he was better.

Wrongmoreoftenthannot Fri 19-Oct-12 13:36:46

Should also say I hope it improves soon!

bonzo77 Fri 19-Oct-12 14:02:44

DS had similar, mostly on his face and torso. It turned out to be because of laundry powder, fairy non bio. I changed to surcare and started rubbing him with oilatum before his bath and diprobase after. It went in a few days. I still use the surcare and the diprobase but not the oilatum.

snowdropemm Fri 19-Oct-12 14:14:41

Thank you all, Wrongmore...i did think it may be a viral rash - but 9 days just seems a long time. I think i'll see how he is this afternoon and maybe take him back this evening if need be.
bonzo77 - I know that nothing has changed environmentally, but children do/can develop allergies, so I will also look at changing my powder, just in case.

bonzo77 Fri 19-Oct-12 16:58:27

DS's rash started up last winter when he was about 20 months, having used fairy non bio since he was born, so weirdly, yes, sometimes it's the child that changes rather than the powder!

DeWe Sat 20-Oct-12 12:50:23

The rash sounds like scarlet fever-sandpaper like is how it's often described. But you'd expect some illness signs, particularly sore throat.

snowdropemm Sat 20-Oct-12 22:11:21

That is something I mentioned to the doctor but my DS has no redness whatsoever. It's a complete mystery!!
I think I am worried its eczema as I have some history of skin complaints (psoriasis) but I didn't think it appeared quite so quickly and so comprehensively all over sad

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 20-Oct-12 22:12:17

Has he had a throat infection?

snowdropemm Sun 21-Oct-12 13:08:23

No nothing whatsoever. Which is why we are so completely stumped. Back to the GP tomorrow I think!! sad

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 21-Oct-12 15:11:01

If it were psoriasis it would be probably be red, so hopefully not that smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now