Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Movicol alternative?

(8 Posts)
artygal73 Fri 19-Oct-12 10:20:47

My 11 year old son has been diagnosed with severe constipation and prescribed movicol, they have said it will take about a year to retrain his bowel, the main problem I currently have is trying to get him to take it, everytime he drinks it, be it plain in water or with squash, extra diluted or not he just ends up retching and being sick...going back to doctors but does anyone have any ideas of alternatives?

Thanks

BionicEmu Fri 19-Oct-12 11:35:33

I'm not sure about any alternatives, is it the paediatric one or the adult one he has? Something in the back of my mind tells me it comes in different flavours, so might be worth looking at that, although that might be the adult one.

juneau Sat 20-Oct-12 16:45:44

My DS (almost 5 and a with-holder), takes senna in the form of Ex-Lax. It's little squares of chocolate with the senna mixed in. He eats it with no problems, although he didn't particularly like it at first.

GrimAndHumourless Sat 20-Oct-12 21:58:26

we went through a very wide variety of stuff to add before we landed on apple juice that made the movicol tolerable

chixinthestix Sat 20-Oct-12 22:07:49

We tried loads of stuff and now mix it in actimel (on the advice of hosp Dr to mix it in any liquid she would take it in - as long as it was dissolved) I do make sure dd drinks plenty of other drinks too.

BallyGoBackwards Tue 23-Oct-12 20:14:18

Read this with interest, hoping for an alternative. Was prescribed Movicol last week for my DS (10). Unfortunately he had a severe allergic reaction and ended up in A&E.

FreddieMercuryforQueen Tue 23-Oct-12 20:18:54

My daughter used to drink it in milk.

TruthSweet Wed 24-Oct-12 12:04:49

DD3 has it and I mix it with a large splash of neat squash plus she drinks it with a straw. She refused to drink it a few times but I insisted she had it and she started to drink it with out a fuss.

It is DISGUSTING though as I was prescribed it for pg related constipation and I nearly vomited all over the kitchen as it was so revolting. I don't know how DD3 drinks it to be honest <boak> Shouldn't have been prescribed it in the first place as it interacts with epilepsy meds - guess what I take epilepsy meds....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now