Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Blood round DD's bottom...

(6 Posts)
Wigeon Thu 18-Oct-12 22:03:19

Rather bum-related info here, so look away now if you aren't interested!

My DD1, who is 4, seems to have something wrong with her bum - when she wipes after a poo there is a smear of fresh blood on the paper. I've inspected her arse (the joys of parenthood) and it looks like the creasy bits of skin right by her bumhole are a bit sore, and bloody. She doesn't seem to have bloody poo. She says she doesn't feel sore and isn't in any pain. No other symptoms and she seems completely normal.

However, it's a bit alarming to have blood on her arse! Anyone any idea? I did wonder if she's just been wiping a bit too hard, and maybe school loo paper is a bit scratchy (she's just started Reception). Or should I be taking her to the GP tomorrow?

Goonatic Thu 18-Oct-12 22:18:46

I think it might be that (we are all mums!) she has had a really big poo which has stretched her bottom, tearing it and now each time she goes it bleeds. Maybe a weekend of prune juice and lots of fruit and veg to help it loosen up which will ease the pressure....? Fresh blood s less worrying than darker blood.
Poor thing!

Wigeon Thu 18-Oct-12 22:34:14

Oh, that's a good point - I think it could well be that. She often goes to the loo at home by herself (and obviously does at school) so I haven't tracked the state of all her recent poos grin! That would also explain why she isn't in any other pain.

I am always slightly paranoid with health things that my natural inclination is that you have to practically be on your death bed before it's worth bothering the doctor, but I am trying to be more cautious with the children in case I'm ignoring some kind of important symptom of something serious!

Thanks for your reply. smile

Goonatic Fri 19-Oct-12 11:43:39

Keep an eye on it, honestly the bum related stuff I've had to inspect.........!
Will prob heal n a week or so! X

Wigeon Fri 19-Oct-12 11:45:20

Well, we've already had worms (more than once!) so to be honest a little bit of blood is practically fun to inspect! grin

Goonatic Fri 19-Oct-12 14:18:57

Yep, know that one well (am teacher too so we get family packs!) and DD1 got moloscum contagiosum right in her bum so that was really hideous.... I won't go into detail....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now