Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Untitled

(12 Posts)
Tearose71 Thu 18-Oct-12 11:07:00

Hi can somebody let me know if possible if fetal decelerations two hours before delivery can cause any long term effects on the child if they are not dealt with immediately many thanks

Tearose71 Thu 18-Oct-12 11:16:59

The decelerations were between 70 and eighty beats

BeaWheesht Thu 18-Oct-12 12:16:50

Hi you could try reporting this in childbirth And remember to put a title. Sorry I can't help - ds had this during labour.

BeaWheesht Thu 18-Oct-12 12:17:06

Re posting!!

Tearose71 Thu 18-Oct-12 12:21:17

Thankyou I am new to thissmile

larrygrylls Thu 18-Oct-12 13:52:53

Unlikely as the blood is still being oxygenated by the mother at this point. Did they do a cord PH when the child was born? Decels are very common and means the baby is weakening and maybe needs to be born. The key thing is the baseline and how long it took to get back there (and ideally above it).

Tearose71 Thu 18-Oct-12 15:39:55

Hi thankyou for replying no record if a cord ph although I can remember it being around his neck (loosely) it just that I feel why was there never any mention of it to us my sister in law who is a midwife reckons when it drops that low a c section should be performed ??

larrygrylls Thu 18-Oct-12 15:54:42

Tearose,

I am not a doc and my only knowledge comes from my own two children's births, my reading and chatting to our midwife at the time. As far as I know 70-80 is a quite normal decel. The key is how long the heart rate takes to recover and ideally accelerate over the baseline (the average rate). If you are getting decels to 70-80 and it is not recovering or the baseline is dropping much below 110-120, it is probably time to consider a c section (happened to our first boy). When our second was born, with the cord around his neck, his baseline was below 100 and decels were going down to 30-40. At that point he was forcepped out fairly promptly (understatement). Even at that level, his cord PH was above 7 (just) so he did not need to go to NICU and he is now a very healthy 2 year old.

So, in answer to your question, I think you would need to see a whole trace to see if a c section was indicated and I very much doubt that, in themselves, decels to 70-80 would do any damage to a baby.

Why are you asking? Is this one of your children or a more theoretical question?

Tearose71 Thu 18-Oct-12 16:17:05

Hi sorry it's because I have recently been shown my birth records from when my son was born we had no ideas anything was wrong this happened apparently two hours before he was born he now has profound learning difficulties autism and limited mobility so I tearing myself apart at the moment and the whole family has been rocked by this

larrygrylls Thu 18-Oct-12 16:32:52

I'm really sorry to hear that.

Maybe you should ask the hospital if you can have a formal meeting to go through the birth and what decisions were made. Then, if you are not happy, you can take things further. Or not. At least you may get some closure.

I don't think you should assume in advance, though, what happened based on some decels a couple of hours before birth.

Message me.

I was induced when DD hadn't movd for a day, she had decals during labour. They should never have induced and instead crash sectioned on arrival at hospital. she turned blue in my arms after she was born.

She now has a number of associated issues.

Oh and I should add that there were other indicators as well that she was a very very sick baby and wouldn't survive labour.

We are just waiting now to see what LD DD has been left with.

It's called hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy - oxygen starvation during labour

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now