Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Redess around bottom of the mouth/lips

(7 Posts)
PenguinBear Wed 17-Oct-12 21:28:40

4yo has redness under his lips. Quite a big patch, probably about the size of a 2p coin.

Not sore and not complaining but red and looks rash like. Strange thing is, I've noticed a number of his class mates also have this around their mouth.

What is it and where did it come from? How to get rid?

chocoluvva Thu 18-Oct-12 00:49:18

Impetigo?
Foot and mouth?
Sorry I don't know how to link.

BuffyFairy Thu 18-Oct-12 00:54:32

Impetigo is doing the rounds in my area. It's very contagious. Does it look like this?

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Impetigo/Pages/Symptoms.

Hand, foot and mouth is smaller. Think tiny red blisters that are also on hands, feet and ulcers inside mouth. Dd currently has it.

Superabound Thu 18-Oct-12 01:30:02

Yes both my ds's have this atm, maybe I will go to the doc's, I did think impetago, but thought that it was a bit more scabby??? This is more of a kind of sandpapery rash with areas of redness.

PenguinBear Thu 18-Oct-12 07:17:30

It doesn't look like the impetigo pictures no. It's more as you say superabound.

mejon Thu 18-Oct-12 18:09:32

Could it be due to licking the lips/skin around the mouth? I used to get a terrible 'hen's bum' mouth as a child as I was a persistent licker especially in winter. DD1 sometimes does it and if I can manage to put a layer of Sudocrem or vasaline on it whilst she's asleep it's usually gone by morning. Lipsalve helps if it is due to licking.

olivo Thu 18-Oct-12 20:41:00

Dd has it, and several of her friends. It is just dry skin, due to the weather getting colder. I have sore lips too, heating now on etc but I guess as adults we know not or lick them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now