Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Vaccinations...

(13 Posts)
Clumsasaurus Wed 17-Oct-12 17:19:43

I might be being all PFB over here, it my darling DS had hs 8wk jabs yesterday (although he is 9 weeks confused) but I found it really tough. Having to hold him whilst they did his vacs made me feel as though he thought it was mummy hurting him. He had a rough night, crying uncontrolably for a while and still pretty fussy today.

Dreading the next ones but focussing on the benefits..

How did everyone else cope?

Bluestocking Wed 17-Oct-12 17:21:53

Poor you and poor him. I felt exactly the same. Lots of calpol, lots of breastfeeding (if you are bfing) and lots of cuddles!

Sirzy Wed 17-Oct-12 17:28:05

I hate taking DS for vaccines but it's a necessary evil (IMO I know not all agree) so I just do it!

He has his flu jab tomorrow - any ideas how to explain to a nearly 3 year old about it?

Clumsasaurus Wed 17-Oct-12 17:47:03

I agree with you Sirzy being a necessary evil but also understand the viewpoint not to... Especially now I'm dealing with the aftermath!

Bluestocking - I am BFing and I must say I am so grateful I am as it really comforted him last night (and me). Calpol is a fabulous invention, it restored my sweet little boy back to me last night Whalen he was so miserable and unhappy.

Sirzy - could you use one of the syringes you get with infant neurofen and explain it with a teddy bear. 'Teddy needs to have a special medicine so he doesnt get poorly when the winter comes, ask you DS to cuddle teddy tight while mummy gives the medicine and then explain that he will have the same tomorrow and you will cuddle him tight and takes him for a treat afterwards - cake, small toy, kinder egg etc? I will be thinking of you tomorrow, in some ways I think it's worse for us poor mummies!

notcitrus Wed 17-Oct-12 18:22:12

The 2 month ones were the worst for both my kids.
For the 3yo I explained they need to put special medicine on his arms to stop him getting sick from some really nasty germs, much worse than a cold - not sure how much he understood of that but he certainly grasped 'sit still, it'll hurt a bit, and then you can have a whole tube of Smarties'.

Gave him two smarties just before the jab, scream, gave whole tube to distract, and five minutes later wanted another jab! Their memories are so short... :-)

Sirzy Wed 17-Oct-12 18:24:16

Thankfully the doctors is next to the newsagent so we are going there first!

Clumsasaurus Wed 17-Oct-12 18:48:58

In what way were the 2 month ones the worst?

dikkertjedap Wed 17-Oct-12 19:03:15

If you can bf whilst they giving the jab as it reduces their pain sensation.

Alternatively give him something to suck like a lollipop as they think that sweetness (like in breast milk or other sweet things) reduces the pain sensation in young children.

I would explain to a three year old that it is to make sure he doesn't get ill and do warn that he may feel a little ping. Again let him lick a lollipop during vaccination and maybe a small present afterwards for being brave.

Bluestocking Wed 17-Oct-12 20:06:16

Breastfeeding is a huge help. You could give some Calpol beforehand as well? I found the first set the worst in terms of the reaction afterwards, lots of crying and a big swollen arm. Subsequent injections haven't caused nearly as much of a reaction. Good luck with the next lot!

dikkertjedap Wed 17-Oct-12 20:26:23

Not that long ago it was recommended to give calpol about 30 minutes before the vaccination. But very recently there was some research which seem to suggest that it lowers a good immune response to the vaccine. I have not seen this research myself but have heard of it. So I would check with GP (although IME they are rarely up to date with latest research) or paediatrician (more likely to be up to date).

I always used to give Calpol in advance, but have now decided not to do so but to use maximum distraction/treats.

notcitrus Thu 18-Oct-12 08:16:08

Clum - most response after, being whingey and squeaky for about 24 hours. And for me feeling bad about inflicting pain on them.
I breastfed immediately after jabs, but that one was hard to get them to calm enough to latch. Main reason I breastfed beyond a year was to ne able to do it after MMR.
Both babies had almost no reaction to 3 or 4 month jabs and no side effects at all to BCG, flu, 12mo jabd or MMR.

Clumsasaurus Thu 18-Oct-12 09:37:52

Thanks not, we have weathered the 8wk jab so good to hear the 3 and 4 month shouldn't be as bad smile the others seem so far away at the moment!

desprodad Wed 31-Oct-12 21:07:23

i have a 3 year old daughter who is displaying some autistic traits and i've been agonising whether to give her the single measles jab. there is evidence out there to suggest autistic children have the measles virus in their gut (the same strain as the vaccine) but more research needs to be done to conclude the outcome. consultants would say we are all autistic but usually by 5 most children would find strategies to cope (supported or not) or not cope and hence would need further investigation. i am well read on the subject area but cannot make-up my mind. my wife insists that she has it done but for me if she is autistic that is fine but i wouldn't want to give her something that could potentially do more harm to her condition. please help!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now