Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Tonsilitis and temp

(8 Posts)
minibmw2010 Wed 17-Oct-12 17:03:49

DS (16 months) has tonsillitis and inflamed ears. Started Penicillin Monday afternoon and I'm struggling to get his temp stable. It's not going below 38.5 during the day and it hit 40.2 overnight. How long do I wait before another Dr appt? He's had so much Calpol & Neurofen over the last 3 days and though I'm trying all the time, what I'd consider the bare minimum of water. He is drinking some milk though.

gymboywalton Wed 17-Oct-12 17:04:54

have you tried sponging him down with lukewarm water? i would continue pushing the water-fluids the most important thing

dikkertjedap Wed 17-Oct-12 20:30:39

Can take 24-48 hours for antibiotics to really make a difference. However, there is always a chance that he needs different antibiotics or that it is viral.

I would give maximum calpol and nurofen spaced over 24 hours and if he has still high fever tonight make an appointment for first thing tomorrow morning. 40.2 with calpol and nurofen is high and could indicate that he needs different antibiotics. If you are very worried go to OOH.

minibmw2010 Thu 18-Oct-12 20:14:20

Thanks ladies, persevered until today as one minute fine, one minute boiling ... Dr says he also has a chest infection and we've been given different medication. Fingers crossed sad

toffeefee Thu 18-Oct-12 20:46:47

My DS (age 3) gets tonsillitis every 4-5 weeks and gets a very high temp each time for the first 3 or 4 days. I was told not to sponge him down as this has the opposite effect of constricting the blood vessels and so not allowing the body to cool down. Instead I was told to give ice (or ice pops) to help cool from the inside which does seem to help and also soothe his throat.

I hope your DS feels better soon.

minibmw2010 Sat 20-Oct-12 18:44:13

Thankfully the different medicine seems to have done the trick. He's temp free today and bar being quite grouchy he's miles better. Any ideas how long it takes for their appetite to improve? Cheers smile

minibmw2010 Sun 21-Oct-12 08:55:52

Ok we're having a different problem now .. Any advice would be very welcome. Temp is gone, but his chest & breathing are still quite rattly, together with a pretty strong cough. Anyway, he's started to be sick on the yellow medicine, which he's mostly having on a relatively empty stomach as he's refusing all foods sad no matter what we offer.

So what would you do? It's been almost a week of pretty much no food bar milk @ yoghurt and now he's throwing up the milk. Ironically bar the breathing and cough, he's quite perky now the temp is gone but he needs sustenance of some kind doesn't he ??? (He's 16 months).

toffeefee Sun 21-Oct-12 13:27:18

In itself, I wouldn't be worried about him not eating as long as he is drinking plenty and not too dehydrated or lethargic. DS can go for a week easy without eating when he is bad, but will hoover up massive amounts of food once he is better to make up for it!

BUT, the fact that he is being sick on the medicine would lead me to ring the GP for advice or go to our of hours just to get him checked. They might be able to give different medicine that would be easier on his tummy (I know that I am always better with ammoxicillin when I eat something with it).

Hope you get some advice and that he feels better soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now