Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cradle Cap

(6 Posts)
Clumsasaurus Mon 15-Oct-12 10:58:53

My DS has literally woken up with cradle cap this morning :-( anyone got any top tips to get rid of it?

MrsHelsBels74 Mon 15-Oct-12 11:00:12

I used Dentinox cradle cap shampoo on DS1 & it worked really well.

Clumsasaurus Mon 15-Oct-12 11:02:09

Do I try and loosen the scales ith a brush or leave it be?

RightUpMyRue Mon 15-Oct-12 11:03:12

Olive oil his head tonight before bed then in the morning get a soft bristled baby brush and gently brush away the flakes.

Patsy121 Fri 26-Oct-12 11:07:23

Hi All,
Thought I would share my cradle cap solution as it worked within 2 days and I was astonished. I know how concerning it is when you see your little one's head becoming covered with dry skin build up. My DD's also started to get an infected smell which the GP told me was just "cheesy" and would go away in its own time- not to worry! The point is, we do! So here goes. This is what I did:
I also used Dentinox shampoo. However, I used castor oil to soften the flakes. Castor oil is a humectant so is very moisture giving. You can't get much better than this and olive oil doesn't even come close. Yes it might be oily but it's the lesser of two evils in my opinion. In the mornings before my DDs bath, I would gently massage castor oil into her scalp which she absolutely loved. I would then use a comb or brush to try to remove as many of the flakes as possible without disturbing those not ready to move. You don't want to leave her little head with any open sores. Then I would wash out with the Dentinox. After drying her hair, I would add alittle more castor oil to her scalp just to keep everything moist. Don't worry about the oilyness. With castor oil being a natural plant oil, it actually washes out very easily. This should shift the problem pretty quickly so if you really cannot stand the oiliness, you may not have to contend with it for too long anyway. I continue to use Dentinox as the staple shampoo for my DD to keep cradle cap at bay but I do find it dries out her scalp so I now use a touch of any oil in her hair after shampooing. However, the best one really is castor oil and I also use glycerine for a change. Both are extremely cheap and can be found readily in beauty stores and chemists.
Hope this helps.

BoysBoysBoysAndMe Fri 26-Oct-12 11:09:26

Leave dentinox shampoo on for 5-10 mins while in the bath.

Gently brush head in circles or innkots of different directions with a soft comb or brush. But not hard!!

Rinse off.

Works quickly, painlessly and a treat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now