Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Swimming with ringworm

(12 Posts)
Gubbins Sun 14-Oct-12 21:18:53

My daughter appears to have to have ringworm. Should I keep her off school swimming tomorrow? Google can't make it's mind up.

TheEnthusiasticTroll Sun 14-Oct-12 21:29:39

I would keep her off school altogether until you start treating it, it is highly contagious and can be pain to get rid off altogether.

DorsetKnob Sun 14-Oct-12 21:31:10

Keep her off, swimming and school.

Floralnomad Sun 14-Oct-12 21:31:50

Most definitely keep her at home .

Gubbins Sun 14-Oct-12 21:36:54

Aw shit. NHS website says keeping off school isn't necessary. I think I might confirm with NHS direct. I had all last week off work with the other one with asthma then D&V. Pesky kids.

DorsetKnob Sun 14-Oct-12 21:38:55

She will need a cream as it is a fungal infection. I have had it once, not pleasant, very easy to transmit.

TheEnthusiasticTroll Sun 14-Oct-12 21:41:31

I think the NHS website will say that technically it is not a reportable disease, but I think the school would want her kept off until treatment has began. Similar with nits, impetigo etc.

TheEnthusiasticTroll Sun 14-Oct-12 21:43:07

Things like that are always best kept out of school as even one parent not treating it can result in constant re transmission and untreated ringworm can be horrible in the long run.

Gubbins Sun 14-Oct-12 21:53:12

Haha, Troll. I can't imagine the school would want every child with nits kept off. It wouldn't do much for their attendance stats.

TheEnthusiasticTroll Sun 14-Oct-12 22:16:58

Most schools advice keep them off until they are treated, that's pretty standard.

EssieW Sun 14-Oct-12 22:25:20

But treating ringworm can take ages - weeks for it to go completely. DS had it at 2 and a half. Noone else in the family caught it.

Probably swimming not the best but don't see a problem with NHS advice to carry on going to school.

We found athletes foot treatment the quickest thing to clear it. Various other creams (including recommended by doctor) didn't work

Gubbins Mon 15-Oct-12 11:28:03

Turned out not to be an issue as she picked up the D&V last night, so is off school anyway. Pharmacist has said school should be ok, but as he wouldn't let us have the cream without a prescription anyway, I can confirm it with the doc.

Thanks everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now