Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Ear infection - worth seeing GP?

(9 Posts)
CBear6 Sun 14-Oct-12 17:22:31

DD (13mo) had her MMR, Hib, etc boosters on Wednesday (three jabs in total) and was a bit grotty and grizzly for around 24hrs afterwards. This morning she was sitting cuddled on my knee when I heard a small but audible 'pop' and then what can only be described as yellow pus came suddenly leaking out of her ear. It's like stringy mucus and it has continued to dribble constantly all day ranging from watery yellow to thick gunky yellow <boak>

She seems happy enough in herself, she's a bit snotty and a little whiny but she doesn't seem ill. I'm a bit crap with ear infections, haven't had much experience with them, is it worth seeing the GP or should I just keep it clean and give her Calpol for any discomfort?

tribpot Sun 14-Oct-12 17:24:29

I would give NHS Direct a ring. And i think I would probably call the surgery to see if they can fit you in tomorrow - but that's partly because I suffered with dreadful ear infections as a young child (in a lot of pain, so nothing like your dd) and I am very grateful ds hasn't gone through the same.

VoterColonelSebastianDoyle Sun 14-Oct-12 17:28:00

No your daughter has an ear infection.
They can become very uncomfortable very quickly she needs to see a doctor thecsooner the better. But i would give her some calpol for any discomfort until you can get her there. Hope shes better soon x

Snog Sun 14-Oct-12 17:30:20

Take her to the doc, definitely. This can become screamingly painful, usually out of hours

cantmakecarrotcake Sun 14-Oct-12 17:35:01

Yes. See your GP. She has a perforated ear drum and it'll need antibiotics.

DD has this on a regular basis and we've had regular courses of amoxicillin for her. We tried antibiotic ear drops but they just haven't worked.

LunaticFringe Sun 14-Oct-12 17:43:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CBear6 Sun 14-Oct-12 18:00:00

Thanks everyone, I've rang NHS Direct to see what they say. She's got no luck healthwise - she's been in hospital more times in twelve months than I have in thirty one years!

CBear6 Sun 14-Oct-12 18:54:09

Verdict is to see GP tomorrow if she stays as she is now - busy, smiling, happy.

If she gets worse, there's any blood in the gunk, she gets a temperature or has any new symptoms (e.g., vomiting) then we've to visit out of hours.

Thanks again smile

tribpot Sun 14-Oct-12 20:21:41

Fingers crossed for a peaceful night, CBear6.

I'm still hoping the NHS might introduce frequent flier miles like the airlines (for my DH rather than me!) - your dd will be well on her way to her gold membership smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now