Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Teething - first timers question!

(8 Posts)
beginnings Sat 13-Oct-12 23:49:14

Therefore I'm stressed, obviously!

DD has been sleeping through since 13 weeks. She's now 23 weeks. She seems to be teething and tonight woke an hour after I put her down, roaring, stopped as soon as I picked her up, settled back about 15 mins later only to wake again in the same manner 1 hour later. I gave her some calgel and she went back to sleep and now has been asleep for 2.5 hours. If she wakes again, would anyone advise Nurofen/Calpol or should I leave that until she isn't consoled by my picking her up? I know I can't give her either of them for more than 24 hours. She had Calpol on Monday for the first time ever but that was as I couldn't comfort her. It did settle her down.

Yes, I'm aware I sound like a PFBer. Just not sure what to do for the best.

bump6 Sun 14-Oct-12 00:04:07

Hi beginnings. First time mummy here too! My dd is 10 months. I would give calpol! use a syringe much easier than a spoon! just check how much! as I understand it, you can give neurofen too( not at sane time) so calpol( every 4 hours) and neurofen ( 2 hrs in between) obviously making sure you know times. As an alternative get nelsons teething granules! Have been advised not to mix with anything else. I used the granules today and for the first time in weeks she has stayed asleep, though the tooth has finally made an appearance, so might be a fluke! I did find calpol did help in 1st couple of weeks!
Like you my dd slept through until pesky teeth showed up..
Good luck. when it all feels too much, just remember how much wisdom teeth hurt! and if all else fails take your dd into your bed.. all becomes better if at least you can cuddle and soothe whilst lying down. X

cookielove Sun 14-Oct-12 11:17:36

Those granules are the best thing in the world!!

bump6 Sun 14-Oct-12 16:47:28

cookielove..My dd only woke up once at 2..some milk and back to sleep!! have had 4 weeks of complete unbroken sleep!! someone told me about the granules on friday...straight to boots saturday!!! Feeling fantastic today!!

beginnings Sun 14-Oct-12 18:08:53

I might try those if needs be tonight. I have them. Last night she settled after the calgel and slept through until this morning. I, of course, only dozed and woke every time I heard the monitor stir. Grrr. Thanks for the advice!

cookielove Sun 14-Oct-12 19:10:28

The granules sell out like wildfire round here, so if i were u i would buy a couple of boxes if they are in stock. Also there is a brand called teetha, but they don't to seem as effective smile

IShallCallYouSquishy Sun 14-Oct-12 19:16:15

Granules on 3 for 2 in Boots grin

My PFB going through the same. STTN 8-7 from 9 weeks. Now 20 weeks and has been waking 2/3 times a night screaming.

Calpol and nelsons teething granules have helped keep us slightly sane.

Hope all our DC stop hurting soon bless them sad

BoysBoysBoysAndMe Sun 14-Oct-12 19:23:22

Calpol and nurofen every 2 hours when teething is really bad.

During the day, if milk and cuddles don't settle baby, then a buggy walk usually does the trick. Especially if its quite chilly.

Also, pop dummies, teethers, a bottle with water in, in the freezer to really cool down-that's nice on sore gummies.

If weaning, cucumber or carrot batons are good to knaw on too if they're cold.

Ad if you don't mind a bit of mess, make your own water ice lollies for them to suck. Even better for sore gums.

Hth!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now