Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Verrucas

(7 Posts)
avenueone Sat 13-Oct-12 23:07:05

Struggling to get rid of two veruccas on my DS' foot - one big one on the big toe and one to the side of his foot just below big toe.
Took him to the chemist originally - it was only one then and he said it would go quickly. It hasn't and now the second one has come.
GP time? He is 7rys (does a lot of swimming).

ATourchOfInsanity Sat 13-Oct-12 23:58:38

You could try a chiropodist - they will try freezing them for you. If you go via doc you may get it free and a possible follow up (doesn't always work first time).

firefoxy Sun 14-Oct-12 00:07:31

After a long summer of various intermittent failed treatments (salatac gel prescribed by GP, homeopathic remedies, painting it with nail polish etc) we've started experimenting with banana skin which has worked miracles!!! The verrucas, one large one on DD's foot and one small one on DS's, were gone within days shock!! We started off by applying salatac gel for the first few days until we got rid of the hardened skin on top, then before bedtime we would rub the inside of a banana skin into the wound and also put a small piece of banana skin (just covering the verruca) on top, stick it down with some duct tape. Both the verrucas turned black and dried out completely within days and I just picked them out with some eyebrow tweezers.

avenueone Sun 14-Oct-12 17:53:23

wow great tip with banana skins - thanks everyone.

nocake Sun 14-Oct-12 17:58:48

There is one thing and only one thing that can get rid of a verucca. Your body's own immune system. If you ignore veruccas they will eventually disappear when your body works out that they're there and need to be attacked. The treatments that are on offer do nothing more than attempt to provoke your immune system into responding and research shows that they all fairly ineffective.

I've had veruccas and have been amazed at how quickly they disappear when the immune system gets to work. One day they were there... the next day they were completely gone.

firefoxy Mon 15-Oct-12 21:06:36

I read that some types of verrucas may not respond to the banana skin treatment, so do persist with it for at least a week. By that time, I guess, you'll know if it's working for your DS or not. Good luck!

avenueone Tue 16-Oct-12 12:34:04

The chemist said that nocake but it has been a year since the first little one, now not so little and painful appeared and with the second biggie appearing and also hurting DS though it was time for mroe action.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now