Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Green poo - what does this mean?

(6 Posts)
KatyJ26 Sat 13-Oct-12 21:00:35

My 4 month old bf baby has green poo - sort of snot like in texture (she doesn't have a cold) and pooing more frequently than normal for her - ie 5 nappies within 5 hours with poo - not all were massive, just a bit in each (sorry if TMI!)

She has been very grumpy too - what could this be? Is she ill? do I need to take her to a GP. or is it teeth?

MayasPapaya Sat 13-Oct-12 21:06:21

From what I understand, green poo is a sign that the food is travelling through the system too fast for all the nutrients to be extracted, hence the colour. In itself it's not a huge problem (although it looks pretty freaky!) and is probably a sign that she has a tummy bug or similar. As long as she's having plenty of wet nappies and is hydrated I wouldn't be too worried but go the the doctors if you are concerned about her.

AlphabetiSpaghetti Sat 13-Oct-12 21:08:20

Teething. I ran like the wind to my gp about my DS's green poo when he was the same age. I remember that my nct leader scared the shit out of us by saying green poo is a sign of dehydration. The doc looked at his nappy (he'd done yet another one on the short journey to the surgery - I hadn't let him sit in it) and she smiled and said teething. Poo comes in many colours and only worry if black or bright red.

As long as there are lots of wet nappies all is well. Just wait until the solids start!! It's a whole new world of shit! grin

KatyJ26 Sat 13-Oct-12 21:14:13

ok, thank you! You'd think I'd know what Im doing by now, this is not my first blush but I dont remeber this happening before!
Can always rely on mumsnet for good advice <goes to get cup of tea and chill out!>

avenueone Sat 13-Oct-12 22:46:55

When my DS had this luckily my mum knew what it was as my brother had been a `hungry baby' when he was little.
My DS was about 4 weeks old at the time - and I thought there was no way I could get any more ounces down him - but had noticed he wasn't settling after ` a lot' of milk.
I had just had to stop breast feeding because my nips were in bits as he was ravenous - so reluctantly went from breast to formula but then had to try hungry baby milk and hey presto - no more green poo and a more settle baby to boot.

avenueone Sat 13-Oct-12 22:47:31

BTW by DS now 7 still eats sooooo much, he is thin as a lat and fit as a fiddle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now